So I bought a desktop computer running Windows XP from a friend of mine. He wiped it clean before giving it to me and upon logging in I found that I could not connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that some of the drivers were lost after resetting. I have tried different programs and methods in order to restore them but nothing has worked. I would really appreciate some help, thanks a ton.
Hi Sam,
Go to Start, Run, then copy/paste the following and click OK: **devmgmt.msc(if you don't have the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows key + R instead)**This will take you to Device Manager.
If the PC is configured properly, every device will be prefixed with a plus sign.
If a device is present on the system, but no drivers have been installed for it, it will be prefixed with a black exclamation mark inside a yellow circle.
If a device is present, but has been disabled, it will be prefixed with a red X.
Do you see either of those anywhere?