Unable to connect properly to Eduroam wi-fi

Anonymous
2013-11-15T17:49:15+00:00

My University (UWE) uses eduroam for its Wi-Fi. My Surface 2 (all updates in place as of 15th November) is unable to stay connected to this service and sometimes it won't find it at all. Have tried refreshing the Surface and all forms of manual logins

  • my ITS department is also stumped. MS - please update our drivers to prevent this from happening. The Surface is the perfect Student device and many universities use eduroam and the web is awash with problems like mine, but currently I would be unable to recommend a Surface to my colleagues or students.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T14:33:47+00:00

    Hello,

    since the Surface update in Feb 2016 i also was unable to connect to eduroam in my Univeristy. First i tried the simple but costly solution of buying a USB-Dongle but even with this Dongle i couldnt connect with the failure" unnable to connect to network".

    Now what did i do: ( in analogy to IrinaLiuberte)

    1. First delete the saved eduroam wlan profile. Do this in the Network Settings->Wlan Settings->Known Wlan Profiles ( something like that, i dont have an english Windows so im not quite sure)

    [you also can try to delete it via cmd and netsh command but this didnt worked out for me]

    1. Go to your university website and look for the instructions to install a wlan profile manually. Just take all the settings given from your IT. In my case i had to use the install instruction for Windows 8.1 ( if anyone from the RWTH Aachen sees this post, use this! )
    2. Profit. Everything ist working fine again.

    I hope Microsoft and/or Marvell will fix this annoying wlan bug soon. I read alot about people sending back ther surface devices cause they were unable to use eduroam, which makes the surface nearly useless in school or university.

    Hope i could help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T11:27:17+00:00

    I was finally able to resolve the issue with my Surface 3. One minor thing - Eduroam asks for password and login name everytime when I connect (although I saved it), but it works.

    I tried a lot and hope I still remember correctly what exactly helped:

    1. I selected to "forget" the automatically recognized Eduroam network, and created a new Wifi connection manually through network setting
    2. Took all standard settings as recommended in our university manual for Eduroam, but changed something in advanced settings - I guess it was unticking "Verify the Servers identity ..." (see the following link, this page was one of those that helped me http://eduroam.unideb.hu/en/content/windows-8-eduroam-settings).
    3. I may have changed some settings about authentication, but dont remember exactly now.

    and then it started to work.

    Btw., to make my wifi more efficient in general, my IT cleaned the list of around 500 of wifi networks on my freshly acquired Surface. Apparently, list of networks ever accessed with your current Microsoft login is carried out to all your computers, even those networks that I was in range, but never accessed!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-01T10:28:10+00:00

    I have got the same problem with a Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10. No problem with WiFi at home but I cannot connect to eduroam. Exactly the same issue described above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T18:54:10+00:00

    I cannot connect to Eduroam since I purchased my new Surface 3 with win 10.

    It does not work in multiple universities, multiple countries, it is a disaster when I need to ask fro a separate password and explain people why I cannot use eduroam.

    our IT also tried and did not succeed, they say it is something with the driver.

    when I try to login (I have access through two universities, and neither works), it says "can't connect" and when going to network settings it shows that Marvell AVASTAR 350N "is authenticating", presumably unsuccessfully, as it always shows this is in progress.

    Can you please do something about it or provide us with guidance on how to overcome the issue?

    btw., it did work with no issues on my surface 1 with win rt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-10T10:36:50+00:00

    Woohoo! The February update has fixed my eduroam/Surface 2 woes!

    I have a Surface 2 and have no clue how to connect to Eduroam. Anybody who can give instructions for dummies? That would be much appreciated.

    It really depends where you are based. If your college/uni uses it they should have a guide on their website. In my case you tap on Eduroam to connect, it asks for a login and a password. Login is your normal uni login plus @youruni.ac.uk eg., ******@xxx.ac.uk, then your password is your normal password. If this doesn't work contact your IT dept.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments