someone suggested 2 hdd for 2 OS, but I hadnt considered separate drives for OS and data. Sounds like a good idea. Does having them separated change the processing speed? Do you need to change your power supply and/or hardware or software? Is it expensive?
options running XP on newer PCs?
My 2005 Dell desktop running XP is having issues, and I'm thinking about a newer PC but want to run XP. I dont have the install discs (it's stored on the PC), so I would have to get those - XP PRO seems to be required if you want to run Windows Virtual PC on Win7/8... unless other brands of Virtual programs will run earlier XP versions?
So I'm wondering what's the best way to run XP on newer PCs that typically have Win7 or 8 pre-installed. I'd prefer not wipe out the original OS, even though they take up space. I would imagine it would work best on a separate partition...? I dont want to get into a 2nd HDD.
I've read that there wont be XP drivers for newer PCs, so compatibility sounds like an issue.
Here's my questions and exploration of the options. Brief answers (yes, no, wrong, etc) would be helpful since I won't understand too detailed explanations.
Does XP work better in 1) XP Mode, 2) as a Virtual PC, or 3) on separate partition?
The advantage of the first is you dont need XP install discs, and it seems to be easily accessible. Disadvantage is you dont get the XP appearance, and it's only available on Win7 Pro and up.
The advantage of Windows Virtual PC is you can load XP (Pro only) on Win7 Home and up (unlike XP Mode that requires Win7 Pro), BUT you need the XP Pro install discs.
Can you use another brand Virtual PC on Win7 or 8 and use any XP version instead of XP Pro?
Advantage of separate partitions is you are actually running XP and getting XP window, rather than Virtual version. Can you load ANY XP version? Is this faster than using XP in Virtual PC?
Disadvantage is you have to install programs twice if you want both OS to use it.
Major disadvantage is it seems XP cannot be installed on pre-loaded Win7 or Win8.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot
I noticed that Win7, and programs in general, work really fast on my 2011 PC (6 RAM, Intel i5). Is that because of the hardware or OS, or both? Would XP work almost as fast?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2013-11-20T14:17:59+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-20T13:45:46+00:00 Well, I was trying to present a balanced view. You've got a few options for running XP, and there are advantages and drawbacks to all of them.
I would do a backup no matter what install method you use - there's a chance of losing your information with any method. And keeping a current backup is a good idea anyway. If you don't want to buy an external hard rive, have you considered online backup?
Of course, I have two drives in my main computer - one for the OS and programs, and one for data. If it's on a seperate drive entirely there's less chance of your data being lost in an upgrade. Mind you I still back up on a weekly basis, the seperation just adds another layer of protection. I can wipe, repartition, reformat, reinstall on my system drive and my data should be unharmed, because it's on another physical hard drive. I use 2 partitions in my laptop to provide some of the same advantages, but it's a little less safe because the partitions are on the same hard drive.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-20T02:42:45+00:00 you've confirmed some of the points in my original post. I suppose I should try XP mode just to see how well XP runs in virtual. Better to find out now if I like virtual running. I'm hesitant since I'm leaning toward doing the "real" virtual PC, and I dont want to deal with installing virtual programs over and over again.
Another reason to get rid of W7 Pro is to resell the key - maybe I can break even since I'll probably buy a used XP Home Full install version.
I got my Win7Home reinstallation disc today. I've been told that doing a custom install, or uninstall Pro/install Home, erases only the installed applications, not data memory - I got the impression that everything was erased. Everyone recommends backing up data regardless, but I wonder how likely it might be effected by this procedure? I dont really want to buy a terabyte backup HDD.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-19T22:03:15+00:00 thanks for all the advice!
I actually have Win7 with a Pro key upgrade, but never tried XP mode because I thought it would only run applications in the Win7 environment; I thought I would be getting a full XP experience, which is why I'm considering it as sole OS or dual boot.
Having used XP mode, I can give a little insight. You can run a full virtual copy of XP, and make it full screen.
David, is this two unrelated statements, or do you mean running a full XP in XP mode?
Considering the alternatives, seems like it would be prudent to get XP discs (full retail version) that I can take with me rather than be tied to Win7's XP Mode. But even full retail versions have a limited number of allowed activations, I was told by someone at Microsoft.
You can run full XP in XP mode - the whole XP desktop, Start menu, IE, everything. With the limitations I stated above. If you already have the Pro key upgrade, I'd say give it a shot. You can always try another method with a retail copy of XP later on if it doesn't do the trick. But why spend the extra money if you can do what you need to with XP mode?
On the other hand, You're right about XP mode being locked to Win 7. I've seen (and tried) ways to get it working in Windows 8, but had no luck. I'm running XP in a virtual machine in Virtualdub for older games and stuff (my important software works fine on Win 8). Going with a full retail copy of XP and something like Virtualbox might actually be the best way to "futureproof".
Virtualbox is available for most operating systems - you could have XP running in a virtual machine in Windows 7 or 8, or on a Mac, or on a Linux machine. You will have the limited number of installs to deal with, but you might be able to move the file for the virtual machine - the same install, just moved to another host system. I admit I've never tried it, but it seems reasonable that the virtual machine, being just a big file, could be moved. But for all I know, it might violate the license - I'd read up before trying it.
I would not recommend making XP the sole OS on a modern machine, or even dual booting. There aren't going to be XP drivers for current equipment, so you'll be very limited in what you could do - low screen resolution due to no video drivers, possibly no sound, those sort of issues. You simply wouldn't get the most out of either the computer or XP.
Going virtual will avoid those problems, since the virtualization software disguises your equipment as equivalents XP will recognize. You can even back up the virtual machine for easy restore if you have a problem, since it's just a file on your hard drive.
And keep in mind, you'll have to keep both the host and client Operating Systems maintained - extra work. And support for XP ends in April.
Hopefully I've given you some points to consider. And I hope others more experienced with virtual machines chip in too. I'm still a bit of a novice about it.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-19T21:19:46+00:00 thanks for all the advice!
I actually have Win7 with a Pro key upgrade, but never tried XP mode because I thought it would only run applications in the Win7 environment; I thought I would be getting a full XP experience, which is why I'm considering it as sole OS or dual boot.
Having used XP mode, I can give a little insight. You can run a full virtual copy of XP, and make it full screen.
David, is this two unrelated statements, or do you mean running a full XP in XP mode?
Considering the alternatives, seems like it would be prudent to get XP discs (full retail version) that I can take with me rather than be tied to Win7's XP Mode. But even full retail versions have a limited number of allowed activations, I was told by someone at Microsoft.