options running XP on newer PCs?

Anonymous
2013-11-14T01:28:25+00:00

My 2005 Dell desktop running XP is having issues, and I'm thinking about a newer PC but want to run XP. I dont have the install discs (it's stored on the PC), so I would have to get those - XP PRO seems to be required if you want to run Windows Virtual PC on Win7/8... unless other brands of  Virtual programs will run earlier XP versions?

So I'm wondering what's the best way to run XP on newer PCs that typically have Win7 or 8 pre-installed. I'd prefer not wipe out the original OS, even though they take up space. I would imagine it would work best on a separate partition...? I dont want to get into a 2nd HDD.

I've read that there wont be XP drivers for newer PCs, so compatibility sounds like an issue.

Here's my questions and exploration of the options. Brief answers (yes, no, wrong, etc) would be helpful since I won't understand too detailed explanations.

Does XP work better in 1) XP Mode, 2) as a Virtual PC, or 3) on separate partition?

The advantage of the first is you dont need XP install discs, and it seems to be easily accessible. Disadvantage is you dont get the XP appearance, and it's only available on Win7 Pro and up.

The advantage of Windows Virtual PC is you can load XP (Pro only) on Win7 Home and up (unlike XP Mode that requires Win7 Pro), BUT you need the XP Pro install discs.

Can you use another brand Virtual PC on Win7 or 8 and use any XP version instead of XP Pro?

Advantage of separate partitions is you are actually running XP and getting XP window, rather than Virtual version. Can you load ANY XP version? Is this faster than using XP in Virtual PC?

Disadvantage is you have to install programs twice if you want both OS to use it.

Major disadvantage is it seems XP cannot be installed on pre-loaded Win7 or Win8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot

I noticed that Win7, and programs in general, work really fast on my 2011 PC (6 RAM, Intel i5). Is that because of the hardware or OS, or both? Would XP work almost as fast?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T19:11:12+00:00

    I'd just get Windows 7 Professional and use XP mode - less hassle, and the license is included with Win7 Pro, so there's no licensing issues. You might have to download the files for XP mode from Microsoft.com, but you can be sure it's valid and legal that way. You'd be better off upgrading to 7 Pro than tracking down a copy of XP and hoping it's legal IMO.

    Whether XP mode will work for you depends on what you plan to do in it. Regular office programs will work fine. At my last job it was used to run digital X-ray viewing software until we could afford to upgrade the program, and it served pretty well for that task. It's not very well suited for games, and might not be a good idea for graphic-intensive programs. But you're liable to encounter similar limits with any virtualization method.

    Having used XP mode, I can give a little insight. You can run a full virtual copy of XP, and make it full screen. As long as you're running that virtual machine, there won't be too much difference from running XP natively. You can run applications seamlessly on the 7 desktop, but that's not the only option available.

    If you have a fast computer with a decent amount of RAM, your VM will run very well. Not quite as fast as a native install, but pretty close. The one exception is starting an XP mode program up on the 7 desktop - that's slow, because you're booting the XP virtual machine as well as starting the program. When you close the program, the VM is hibernated, so you wouldn't have to wait when you reopen it until you reboot your computer. But since you want to simulate XP itself, that shouldn't be a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T18:47:28+00:00

    My 2005 Dell desktop running XP is having issues, and I'm thinking about a newer PC but want to run XP.

    Hi spiritgumm,

    If you have a Dell machine, you only have an OEM license. This means the Windows XP operating system can only be used with that machine.

    To install Windows XP on another machine, you need to purchase another license together with the installation media and it would have to be a retail version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T18:14:21+00:00

    Don't even mess with those discs. They would be made only for specific computers that had the exact same software on them to begin with. They won't help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T18:13:19+00:00

    XP most likely will not work on your new computer, because it's not likely the manufacturer will have the drivers for you to downgrade. Check with them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T01:31:01+00:00

    I have another XP related question. I see alot of XP PRO discs for sale (Amazon, Ebay) usually labeled DELL and "Reinstallation Disc." I've asked some sellers, and they say it's the entire OS, not a repair disc or upgrade. Is this true? And does it need SPC 3 - or any service pack - or can I download those from Microsoft (and maybe backup onto a disc for the future)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments