Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-28T11:51:36+00:00

    What have I missed doing?

    Responded to this suggestion!

    The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location: •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

    •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

    The system root is normally C.

    Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

    For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T19:10:59+00:00

    O.K.  I stopped Windows Update Service.  I found the Windows folder. I clicked on it and found the Software Distribution folder.  I clicked on it and found the Download file folder.  I renamed it download.old.  I restarted Windows Update Services. I restarted computer.  I tried to install updates.  They failed.  What have I missed doing?  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T17:06:54+00:00

    The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location: •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

    •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

    The system root is normally C.

    Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

    For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T16:08:20+00:00

    Hi,

    Press Windows key + R to get the run window. In the services window you need to stop the Windows Update service. Once this is done using Windows Explorer you need to navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and rename the download folder to download.old.

    Once this is done, open the services window one more time to start the Windows Update service. After this

    once and for all restart the computer to check update install status.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-26T16:32:52+00:00

    Hi,

    Rename the Software Distribution folder, and then retry the download

    To do this, follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd      in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. At the command prompt, type services.msc.
    3. Right-click Automatic Updates, and then      click Stop.
    4. Rename the      C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder as follows:

    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.old.

    1. In the Services snap-in,      right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.
    2. Click Start,      click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

    Once this is done, restart the computer and check the update install status.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments