I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.
No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.
Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound
HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8
Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2015-04-23T23:07:56+00:00 And I also have the same problem today, after an update from Windows 8.1.
Hi Stepahanie/All, if you are using sfc/scannow to repair your files make sure you type it in CAPITALS - i.e. SFC/ SCANNOW - then press enter. It should then work. Doesn't seem to work in lower case!
Make sure also you are using the Command Prompt as ADMINISTRATOR not the normal command prompt. To do this right click on the Command Prompt in Windows 7/8 and the option to run as Administrator should appear. It also won't work unless you do this too.
Good luck!
Colin
-
Anonymous
2015-04-12T11:47:20+00:00 I provided links but I don't know if they were clickable.
The second link explains how to fix the sound issue that results when the duplicate endpoint error is thrown. The problem for me was that two services were attempting to use the same DLL. When the second one tried to start the other one was already running which is why the duplicate endpoint error is thrown.
Here is an excerpt:
Navigate to HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> AudioEndpointBuilder -> Parameters
Check the ServiceDLL data, on the problem system it was:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Audiosrv.dll
It should be:
%SystemRoot%\System32\AudioEndpointBuilder.dll
There didn’t seem to be any problem with the AudioSrv -> Parameters -> ServiceDLL data as it was already set to it’s correct value of :
%SystemRoot%\System32\Audiosrv.dll
So if yours is off, I would go ahead and change it.
After a reboot of the system, all sound was back and the services were started with no errors.
-
Anonymous
2015-04-12T06:50:07+00:00 Hey guys,
So as you might have read I also accidentally deleted the files from the AVG vault. Well after lots of researching I finally found something that worked for me. Tweaking.com's Windows repair which can be found here:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows\_repair\_all\_in\_one.html
I also had downloaded Driver Booster 2.1 free here:
http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster-2/3000-18513\_4-75992725.html
After downloading and running tweaking's windows repair, driver booster suggested updating some drivers. After that, the sound was back!!!! YEAH!!! Hope it works for you too!!!
-
Anonymous
2015-04-11T17:10:01+00:00 KV Getting "Error 0X800706cc:The endpointis a dulicate." I have AVG 2015, I believe I'm okay on that.
Can you explain your: Part 1 and Part 2 I'm an old man who is not computer literate, at all
Can you expand on your explanation
Thank you very much