No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.

Anonymous
2014-07-11T14:49:01+00:00

Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound

HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8 

Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-17T09:19:35+00:00

I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-01T15:16:12+00:00

    Thank you!!! I have been pulling my hair out over this Gerardo. It worked! I will now headbang at full volume in your honor. Goddamn good American.     Larry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-30T16:29:37+00:00

    I had this problem also and I thought that AVG had destroyed my laptop so I uninstalled it and made a restore point and restored my system but the problem still exist ... what should I do ??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-28T14:38:37+00:00

    I tried all of the suggestions. Removed AVG and still the same problem.

    This link involves changing the registry so use at your discretion.

    It is 2 parts. I had both the control panel problem and audio. 

    Part 1 http://tech.jecal22.com/windows-8-and-windows-8-1-control-panel-hangsfreezes/

    Part 2 http://tech.jecal22.com/windows-88-1-no-audio-endpoint-is-a-duplicate-error-message/

    After I modified the registry and rebooted audio was restored.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-20T07:54:06+00:00

    I'm in the same pickle! Uninstalled AVG and now I can't retrieve the vault, neither the files... somebody help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments