I had the exact same problem, finally fixed it today by going on Internet Explorer, going into Internet options, going into the connections tab and then LAN settings and unticking the proxy server box
Can't access Windows Store
Here is my problem. Whenever I try to open Windows Store there's a message saying "We weren't able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. Please wait a few minutes and try again." . But, my internet works just fine. I saw some other suggestions about using a troubleshoter, but it didn't work all it says is that my display adapter isn't up-to-date, although it is! I am using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and I wanted to download the the 8.1 update from the Store. Any reply is appreciated.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2013-11-07T17:25:19+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-07T17:23:47+00:00 I had the exact same problem, finally fixed it today by going on Internet Explorer, going into Internet options, going into the connections tab and then LAN settings and unticking the proxy server box
-
Anonymous
2013-11-01T04:32:47+00:00 I had the same issue and running the command in the link above fixed it for me on my surface pro run ring 8.1. Thanks!!
-
Anonymous
2013-10-31T04:18:38+00:00 beyond frustrating! sorry to hear it still is terrible.
I have no new suggestions ... but here is a cleaner way to guarantee you are not in a proxy:
Open an administrative command prompt and type the following
netsh winhttp reset proxy
and just for fun to make sure not a regional issue you can change geographic location of store by...
Change your location from the control panel / region / change location
only another far out suggestion ..as you do start our in the great Britain store .. then location changes to several things with Australia in it.
but really you have tried everything suggested that should have fixed your issue by now. good lucks!
(and not sure I understand what you did for your update ... as short of a msdn account and getting iso image.. the only way I know to update from 8 to 8.1 is through the store /// or from 7 to 8 then to 8.1 in store to keep all your settings and files.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-30T23:22:09+00:00 Sorry guys - I have been off here for a few days - but still no solution to my problem. I just cannot access the Windows store at home or at work. And not here from the motel either!!! I wouldn't expect the motel wireless connection to work, but who knows???? Anyway, it didn't.
I went as far as trying to reinstall Windows 8 clean and go from there - but would you believe, the instructions from the disc got me in a loop,and the machine was restored to its previous state. Which was good, because I was geting behind in my work and have just now caught up again. So have made no headway on Win 8.1.
Downloaded the update utility using IE on a Win 7 machine, but when I transferred it by USB, it would not run on my Win 8 machine.
So, still struggling.
Nothing works, then MS even put an update ribbon across m Win 8 opening screen - but still no success. Grrrrrr!
Can't anyone help????