Hi John
Thanks for the top, but I've already tried that.
Here's an update and my latest problems:
Rebooted this morning to find that I was right – the ‘staged’ installation of KB2929355 has been superseded by a failed installation.
Update history:
The update diagnostic/troubleshooter reports the same problem:
Proxy : Direct access (no proxy server).
Last Installed Update :Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355),05/28/2014 12:05:31
Last Displayed Message :2014-05-29 08:24:20:413 1132 154c AU WARNING: Failed to get Wu Exemption info from NLM, assuming not exempt, error = 0x80070032
Language settings :en-US
bits : Stopped
wuauserv : Running
WORKGROUP :WORKGROUP
Windows Update Agent Version :7.9.9600.16384
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro SP: 0
CPU Type : x64
OS Architecture :64-bit
So I tried booting from my Win 8 recovery disk. It says the drive where windows is installed is locked. But dropping to a command prompt reveals that the drives have all been remapped! The SSD normal boot disk is E: and my old system disk is C: (which now
only has data on it). There doesn’t seem to be any way I can tell recovery to look at E: to refresh it.