There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-04-17T07:04:44+00:00

    Original title: "file name warning" message

    In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

    I had to go 'Scheduled Tasks'.>task Sheduler library>the then there should be the pop up event that will arise(For more confidential way run this process after the pop up appers)>right click >disable >happy browsing>sigh

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-02T10:55:26+00:00

    I had this issue lately too, and although I read the replies here, none of them helped (I couldn't even find my task bar let alone the VOIP element) and whenever I tired to delete or rename the file 'program', it wouldn't let me because of administrative 'rights.

    So I turned to my trusted McAfee (not helpful, I know, if you don't have this) and found a 'shred' icon which I clicked on, and lo and behold the file was 'shredded'.  I think I know how come this c:program file came about because recently I deleted my whole gallery of photos from my phone and so looked to the web for assistance, and so downloaded a couple of 'software retrieval' things... presumably - even though I went back and uninstalled these in the control panel - this left some 'residue' in the program system somehow (I'm not a techno buff so I could be wrong).

    So, yeah, try using whatever security/shield thing you have on your system as see if it has an 'exterminate' icon ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T19:13:39+00:00

    I also did an update to Foxit Reader and now have the PROGRAMS folder in my C drive. Interesting that these posts have all occurred within the last couple of days.  Checked the folder with Malwarebytes and BitDefender and no virus.  Folder has the 3 files mentioned in other posts.  Convinced that it is Foxit related so I deleted the folder PROGRAMS from my C drive.  Restarted and no more error message and everything appears to be working properly, including Foxit.  Wonder why Foxit did it this way, they should know about the potential system conflict with creating a folder called PROGRAM on the C drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T02:30:26+00:00

    I don't have a solution to this "problem," but I do have a clue to what might be doing this,  at least on my Windows 8.1 computer.

    This morning, when I started to use Foxit Reader, it wanted to do an update.  I had to close it for the update to complete.  That is the only program I updated today.

    The renamed "C:\Program1" folder is time-stamped around the time Foxit was updating itself.  It has 3 files, all of them starting with "uninst".

    If this turns out to be just a folder for the files to uninstall Foxit, then I don't see having that folder stay on my computer as a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments