There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-26T05:22:40+00:00

    Yes, I use Webroot. I have no idea tho, where the file came from. I am annoyed by the thing and I really want it gone.

    Instead of why or how its there, do anyone have a straightforward solution to the problem, that is1) in common English, 2) very concise in the instructions?

    I'm not new to computers, but I'm not an expert and really don't want to mess up my computer by doing something and not knowing how to undo it.

    For the record.

    * I can't delete it

    * I can't rename it

    * I can't save the file it wants to call C:\Program1

    * To do all the above, it says I need Administrator Privledges. Last time I checked, I was the Admin, so I'm not sure why I cant do any of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-28T13:19:36+00:00

    You can duplicate this on any windows computer.  I tried it on a Windows XP, Windows 7, all the way to Windows server 2102.  Just create a file called "program" on the C: drive, log off, and log back on.  You will see the error.  Delete or rename the file and do it again and the problem is gone.

    That is exactly what the problem was for me. Must have been created by some installer or updater because I didn't create the file. It was not a folder, but a file.  There was also a "Program.old" file with the same time stamp. 0 byte files. Deleted them both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-14T01:40:03+00:00

    Hello,

    I started having this same problem recently and think that it *may* be associated with a recent update I installed from EA Origin.  A file named "Program" did in fact get created at the root of my C:\ drive which caused the Windows error to appear on startup and also prevented Origin from launching (on Windows 8.1).  I renamed that file to "Program-renamed" and both problems went away.  Hope this info is helpful.

    NOTE:  The issue for me was with a FILE named "C:\Program" ... not an issue with a FOLDER of that name.  Check the FILES in your root directory to see if one named "Program" exists there and rename it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T18:07:18+00:00

    I also ran into the issue with Foxit Reader update yesterday. I missed the checkbox and unfortunately installed the complementary **** toolbar. I uninstalled the toolbar, but suspect that is/was the cause of the c:\program issue. I looked inside the folder and there was an uninstaller present, which I may look at on another day for more clarity. With some skill ;) I simply renamed the folder, rebooted and all seems to be as it should be, but then... who really knows. Delete or rename the offending folder is the bottom line answer to get rid of the information dialogue box that Windows is supplying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments