No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T14:19:57+00:00

    AbbadToma,

      What version of Windows 8 are you currently running??   If you check one of my earlier posts I left a link to the upgrade I needed to get my Windows 8 to run .mpg files.    Most new computers come with the basic or pro version of Windows.   All you would need if you have the pro version is the $9.99 media center upgrade.   Hope this helps!

    Chuck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T09:41:00+00:00

    I have the same problem.

    It appears windows 8 does not support .mpg files. Microsoft better come out with a fix quickly

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T00:09:21+00:00

    If I go to McDonalds and order a cheeseburger I assume it will have a bun without reading the product description, if I buy a TV remote I assume it will have a power button, and when I buy a new laptop (and have Windows 8 forced on me even though I do not want it) I assume it will support basic file formats.

     

    Absolute garbage that I can't watch a video of my daughters first steps until I pay an extra upgrade fee.

    ========================================

    VLC is free and will play just about anything.

    (FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System

    Restore point before installing software or updates)

    VLC Media Player (32-bit Version)

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc_32/

    (runs on XP/Vista/7/8)

    (the filename to download is : vlc-2.0.8-win32.exe)

    (FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System

    Restore point before installing software or updates)

    VLC Media Player (64-bit Version)

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc_64/

    (runs on XP/Vista/7/8)

    (the filename to download is : vlc-2.0.7-win64.exe)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T00:03:02+00:00

    If I go to McDonalds and order a cheeseburger I assume it will have a bun without reading the product description, if I buy a TV remote I assume it will have a power button, and when I buy a new laptop (and have Windows 8 forced on me even though I do not want it) I assume it will support basic file formats.

    Absolute garbage that I can't watch a video of my daughters first steps until I pay an extra upgrade fee.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments