It didn't work for my case. I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine. It was a $9.00 upcharge. I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.
Chuck
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
It didn't work for my case. I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine. It was a $9.00 upcharge. I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.
Chuck
I too am having the same issue. I get audio, but no video. Downloaded codec pack as suggested but nothing changes. Also not sure why everyone is vague about what we need. .mpg format has been around forever and I can play this on my Vista, Win 7 and Win XP machines. I was going to upgrade all of my equipment to Windows 8, but with this lack of information and support for such a simple issue I feel that I am being mislead and taken advantage of. I did make a dual boot on my MacBook Pro, I guess I can just switch back and make the DVD copy of my home movies there. Please post an answer on what "EXACTLY" we need to do this on Windows 8.
I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?
Download and install Windows 8 Codecs
Thanks, but that didn't work. Loaded a CODEC and it didn't change anything. Any other thoughts? Again, the files play fine on a Windows 7 PC but not on a Windows 8.
Hi Nancy,
Thank you for posting in Microsoft community
From your issue description, I understand that you are not able to play the converted mpg file from different format. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.
This issue might occur if there is an issue with the Codecs. I would suggest you to use your favorite search engine and search for the Codecs.
Codecs: Frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/codecs-frequently-asked-questions
Note: Using Third Party Software or Link, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software or Link can be solved. Using Third Party Software or Link is at your own risk.
Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.