Unable To delete thumbs.db

Anonymous
2013-01-21T09:48:54+00:00

Since I moved to windows 8 I have been increasingly having a problem  with deleting any thumbs.db. I do not have the files in the folder open nor did I have them open at any point prior to trying to delete the files. But I continual get the error " file is one in explorer" . I never had this problem in windows 7 and if I did have it I would simply restart.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-22T05:38:50+00:00

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

c. Click "Folder Options"

d. Open the "View" tab

e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-21T20:28:12+00:00

    The only thing that helped for me on my Windows 8.1 laptop was to disable showing hidden files. It worked immediately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T22:23:52+00:00

    The staff in India can't get it thru their heads to send a problem to Microsoft as a bug that needs fixing. Philippines was a much better location.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-27T14:10:13+00:00

    Thank you Vijay B, it seems that solved the issue I had before, when I tried to delete some folders at Windows 8 and couldn't delete completele because of the thumbs.db file. Thank you again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-27T09:09:42+00:00

    Hi,

    Thanks for reply!

    Glad to know that the issue is resolved. Let us know if you face any issues with Windows in future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments