Unable To delete thumbs.db

Anonymous
2013-01-21T09:48:54+00:00

Since I moved to windows 8 I have been increasingly having a problem  with deleting any thumbs.db. I do not have the files in the folder open nor did I have them open at any point prior to trying to delete the files. But I continual get the error " file is one in explorer" . I never had this problem in windows 7 and if I did have it I would simply restart.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-22T05:38:50+00:00

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

c. Click "Folder Options"

d. Open the "View" tab

e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-17T04:39:51+00:00

    this isn't working at all, neither is disk cleanup. how can i disable this "feature" ENTIRELY

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-28T18:45:44+00:00

    Me too, Windows 8.1 suddenly started showing thumbs.db in all folders and on desktop.  I need to have thumbnail view as I have so many pictures.  I keep dumping it in Recycle Bin but it just comes back. How do you stop it creating and recreating itself?

    Elizabeth -

    I had the same problem since I had Windows 8.1 regular edition which does not have work groups which has an easy fix for thumbs.db .  My thread here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/thumbsdb-file-in-use-by-another-program-inhibits/31757847-8be8-439b-8a33-d24599ef3b26 has the solution. 

    In summary, it requires an addition to your windows registry which is accomplished by using notepad to make a text file whose file name ends in .reg .  It's pretty straight forward.


    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]

    "DisableThumbsDBOnNetworkFolders"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001


    Copy everything above between the ---------------------- 's and put it into notepad.   Save it as a text file named something like ihatethumbnailcaching.reg on your desktop or documents folder.  The file end of the file name must be ".reg" for this, but the file name and location isn't important.  It is just for your own reference and so you can find it.   It could be win8.1.thumbnail.correction*.reg***, afixYAY*.reg***, or whatever and can be saved anywhere so long as you can find it.  Once it is saved, navigate to where you saved it, double click the file, and it will update your windows registry automatically.

    Once you've double clicked it, you're done.  You can delete the .reg text file you created.  Using it more than once doesn't change anything or create multiple registry entries.  You should be able to see thumbnails in your directories and no thumbs.db file will be created anywhere.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Greg Dixon

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-18T20:30:11+00:00

    interesting, if I activate, "always show icons, never thumbnails" like below, I will see the program icon and not a preview of the photo.

    i guess

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-29T22:21:47+00:00

    I had this problem and someone was able to explain a solution by registry editing.

    The entire thread is here or you can cut and paste:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-files/thumbsdb-file-in-use-by-another-program-inhibits/31757847-8be8-439b-8a33-d24599ef3b26

    You copy the following into notepad and save it as a .reg file.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]

    "DisableThumbsDBOnNetworkFolders"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    You then double click the .reg file you just created.  It should stop thumbnail caching. 

    Thank you to DaveOtt chasing down the final solutionand thank you Karthik Vengaloor for explaining it in more detail.

    Regards,

    GregD

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments