How to change pre-login image in Windows 8

Anonymous
2012-12-19T22:22:59+00:00

This is a home computer that has several accounts.  The image displayed is Seattle which is not the lock image for any account (including the hidden administrator account).  I would like to change this pre-login/sign-out image to something (anything) else.   What steps do I need to take to avoid having to look at this stupid image (sorry Microsoft, not all of us are from Seattle nor want any image that looks drawn from crayons)?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-20T15:57:26+00:00

Hi Gator,

We are glad to assist you with the issue on Microsoft Community.

Before I approach towards any suggestion, I would like to collect some information on thsis issue:

Are you referring to the Local screen on the computer?

If you are referring to Lock screen on the computer, then let us try the following steps by navigating to “Change PC settings” on the computer.

Please follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and c key together to open the Charms bar.

b) Click on Settings.

c) Click on Change PC settings option at the bottom of the charms bar.

d) Click on Personalize option.

e) Click on Lock Screen.

f) Choose the required picture you want to save as the lock screen picture.

You may refer to the link below in response to this query:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/change-backgrounds-pictures#1TC=t1

Hope it helps. Please write us if it does not resolves the query.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-23T07:33:44+00:00

http://superuser.com/questions/484206/how-can-i-change-the-lock-screen-in-windows-8-that-appears-for-the-default-user

To make a change that is resilient to changing screen resolutions, replace C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.pngwith your new picture. Then delete the resized image caches from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z. You'll need to take ownership of the folders/files in question to access them.

Alternative: Disable the lock screen. To do this, search Settigns for "group policy". Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Personalization. Set "Do not display the lock screen" to Enabled.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-02T19:32:34+00:00

    I was able to add my desired picture into that directory but when I tried the rest of the steps all I could 'set' it as was my desktop background... had no other options??? OPS Windows 8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-02T15:55:16+00:00

    This worked great. I put the picture I wanted into the directory and followed the steps. I did need to restart the computer to make the change take effect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T22:18:18+00:00

    The lock screen and the pre-login screen are two different issues.

    I can change the lock screen picture to whatever I want,  for whatever account is on the computer.

    However, the seattle pre-login screen stays the same for the pre-login screen.

    If you don't login to the Windows 8 computer, the seattle screen is there.

    That is what people are trying to change.  We already know how to change the lock screen picture.

    Why is this concept so difficult for Microsoft to understand.

    All you have to do is log out of your account. Or restart your computer.

    Now look at the first screen that appears.  It is Seattle with the time.  Now when you click on a key or mouse, you get the icons for logging in.

    Mine has the rainbow like picture as the pre-login screen... I sort of remember picking that at one time before I had any of mine choices downloaded to choose from... but cannot now remember how and am also wanting to change it to something more personal... but at least it isn't Seattle! Hope someone figures this out... no biggie, just kinda irritating... :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments