windows 8 stuck in endless preparing automatic repair

Anonymous
2013-01-06T20:25:17+00:00

Hi 

I recently bought a sony vaio laptop with windows 8 out of the box.

Now the system is not starting

it says preparing automatic repair for some time then a blank screen comes up for  while and then a screen comes up saying repair not completed...it automatically restarts and same thing continues in a loop

please help with this

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-17T05:17:40+00:00

    I bought a ASUS 23 touch screen all in one, I3, 6GB, 1TB. Soon as I powered it up I was stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair". Darn thing never booted up, took I back to the Store. Gave it another try with a different Model. Lenovo 23 touch screen all in one, I3. 6GB, 1 TB. This one worked for all of an hour, Then I got an update from MS, plugged in my external drive, and CPU did a force restart. Then the dreaded "Preparing Automatic Repair", let it sit that way for an hour, I then unplugged it, because the power button would not work, and plugged it back in, nothing, no lights nothing, dead.  

    I called Microsoft and waited on hold for a long time, I finally spoke to someone who explained I should contact Lenovo. It is going back to the store. Obviously, there is some kind of problem with the OS, when two different manufacturers have the same result. I am so so disappointed, and wasted many hours of my time.

    I am not a novice, but when I buy a new mid-range machine, I expect it to work. I have read the workaround listed above, but seriously I do not expect to have to reinstall an OS on a machine I just bought and didn't use. I have been and Microsoft Cheerleader and good customer since my 286 with DOS, and 200 MB.

    I feel betrayed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-20T18:43:08+00:00

    Hello I encountered the same problem today, I wanted to run diagnostics test before I tried all the steps above and I noticked that the hard disk short DST test failed. Does this mean that the above steps cannot work for me? Does that mean I'm going to have to get a new hard drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T13:59:02+00:00

    hello, yes format was the next step but after format i could install OS but it was acting like it was a bad hard disk... freezing, blues screening etc.  tried another disk it was fine..  

    so it was a hardware problem in my case however we should vote for the F8 key, I mean if i could stop the process or get into a recovery mode process i could of used system restore or something, command line..    I mean what if you can't get to the OS to run Advanced startup options...

    Best Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T04:17:00+00:00

    Fixed It.

    This is the only thing that worked for me. Beware you might loose your data. Try to backup as mentioned.

    I was facing the same issue for the last 1 month or so. I tried everything what others have mentioned by loading the disk and get to the advanced options, but it didnt worked for me. I tried the Windows 8 disk but again it went to the same loop, I even tried to install windows 7, xp,  but still the my computer stuck at the windows screen. I tried everything that I could.

    I was concerned about the hard disk and the data, I bought a hard disk case (It is meant for loading the hard disk and the hard disk can be used as a External USB hard disk) from an electronics shop.  I took out the hard disk from my laptop, mounted it on to the Hard Disk Case and recoverd data from my hard drive.

    I was not able to access the C: drive at all (couldnt even format it). Then I formatted my hard disk from the cmd.

    Do this once you have recoverd your data:

    1. Open cmd
    2. DISKPART
    3. LIST VOLUME

    Once you type LIST VOLUME, the file syestem of the C: drive of the laptop hard disk which you have attached as USB might be displayed "RAW".

    NOTE: The volume name of the "C drive" can be any letter other than C, so please be carefull before proceeding. 

    1. Then type SELECT VOLUME 3  ( Can be any number, select the one which is the C: drive of the hard disk which you are using as external).
    2. Type CLEAN

    6. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY.

    1. FORMAT FS=NTFS ( If you want to do a quick format you may type quick after the command as below:       

                FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK )

    1. ACTIVE
    2. ASSIGN LETTER <any letter>
    3. EXIT.

    Now you can load the hard disk onto your computer and install any windows without any problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T04:08:11+00:00

    Fixed It.

    This is the only thing that worked for me. Beware you might loose your data. Try to backup as mentioned.

    I was facing the same issue for the last 1 month or so. I tried everything what others have mentioned by loading the disk and get to the advanced options, but it didnt worked for me. I tried the Windows 8 disk but again it went to the same loop, I even tried to install windows 7, xp,  but still the my computer stuck at the windows screen. I tried everything that I could.

    I was concerned about the hard disk and the data, I bought a hard disk case (It is meant for loading the hard disk and the hard disk can be used as a External USB hard disk) from an electronics shop.  I took out the hard disk from my laptop, mounted it on to the Hard Disk Case and recoverd data from my hard drive.

    I was not able to access the C: drive at all (couldnt even format it). Then I formatted my hard disk from the cmd.

    Do this once you have recoverd your data:

    1. Open cmd
    2. DISKPART
    3. LIST VOLUME

    Once you type LIST VOLUME, the file syestem of the C: drive of the laptop hard disk which you have attached as USB might be displayed "RAW".

    NOTE: The volume name of the "C drive" can be any letter other than C, so please be carefull before proceeding. 

    1. Then type SELECT VOLUME 3  ( Can be any number, select the one which is the C: drive of the hard disk which you are using as external).
    2. Type CLEAN

    6. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY.

    1. FORMAT FS=NTFS ( If you want to do a quick format you may type quick after the command as below:       

                FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK )

    1. ACTIVE
    2. ASSIGN LETTER <any letter>
    3. EXIT.

    Now you can load the hard disk onto your computer and install any windows without any problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments