Hi,
I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.
Regards
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses more than 20% of my CPU.
I'm running W7 on an i7 quad-core with 8GB,
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.
Regards
Anyone know how to mark J.Gabriel.D's fix/workaround as as the answer?
The 'solution' currently marked as the answer doesn't work reliably.
(or is the issue that a solution has already been marked as the answer - or only the OP can mark it as such?)
Hello,
this year :-) I have a laptop with 2 Microsoft profiles on Windows 8.1 Pro. Within the first profile the problem doesn't occur (wallpaper is changing, minimal cpu usage). Within the second profile (on the same laptop!) the problem exists (no wallpaper change, cpu usage at 20%). On another laptop with the same second Microsoft profile the problem occurs also.
Version of Bing Desktop is 1.3.470.0. Running as admin has no effect.
Any ideas?
If it doesn't occur consistently, none whatsoever I'm afraid!
Most of the theories as to what the underlying issue is seem plausible - and my money's on the clock change theory ahead of my own one - but I don't think we've managed to confirm any of them.
That said, and by way of reporting back as promised, my install is now working - pictures changing and minimal CPU use.
J.Gabriel.D's fix above seems to be the way forward - in my case even uninstall/reinstall didn't sort it as (presumably) it left the settings and local caches in place.
Probably worth trying J.Gabriel.D's fix on the one that doesn't work, even if we don't know what caused it in the first place? Seems to have worked for me.
Afterthought... what account types are the profiles that work and don't work respectively? Is the one it works on an administrator account? I'm now doubting it's a related factor, but thought I'd ask...
Hello,
this year :-) I have a laptop with 2 Microsoft profiles on Windows 8.1 Pro. Within the first profile the problem doesn't occur (wallpaper is changing, minimal cpu usage). Within the second profile (on the same laptop!) the problem exists (no wallpaper change, cpu usage at 20%). On another laptop with the same second Microsoft profile the problem occurs also.
Version of Bing Desktop is 1.3.470.0. Running as admin has no effect.
Any ideas?
Rather than a full uninstall/reinstall/reconfig trip, I just stopped the Bing Desktop app, and deleted :
- all folders under %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\BingDesktop
- the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\BingDesktop\dailypingtag.dat
Kept only 2 files : "settings.ini" and "user-id.config"
Then reran Bing Desktop ... and now seems to be OK, it does not eat all CPU again.
Hope this helps ...
Seemed like a good suggestion so I tried it.
Results were intially encouraging - no CPU hogging...
No desktop picture switching either, then crashed shortly afterwards :(
Re-ran it. No crash or CPU hogging this time. No picture switching either, but maybe all I need to do is wait until tomorrow's picture. Will report back.