Hi,
I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.
Regards
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses more than 20% of my CPU.
I'm running W7 on an i7 quad-core with 8GB,
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.
Regards
Hi.
The problem returns every year twice - when the clocks change. The morning after the change Bing wallpaper stays the same as the day before and the CPU usage jumps up significantly. As if some process gets in the loop and can't find the way out of it.
Whatever the reason, re-installing Bing Desktop solves the issue. So here's the price to use the free application - remember to re-install it twice a year and you are good to go :)
YES, that's a brillant and smart solution: worked for me too and fetched the Bing Desktop image of today.
Maybe it is related to the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2? I observed this problem after installing this new update... I am not sure, it is just a guess!
Any fix yet? Still facing the same issue even after almost another year. Laptop fan going mad because of BingDesktop utilising more than 100% of one of the cores. Kinda like the background image that changes every day but nevertheless am going to uninstall... poor cpu fan.
Yup - the problem is back.
I had this previously when BingDesktop was trying to upgrade to 1.3.402.0 from whatever it was previously back around April 2014.
Under the suspicion it was trying to update itself again but didn't have the permissions to do so, I closed it and ran it as administrator instead: it ran fine, started updating the pictures again and no longer killed the CPU. It did not, however, update itself.
Go back to running it as normal and it goes back to utilising 100% of one of the cores again.
After un-install/reinstall I now have version 1.3.470.0, so obviously it's a problem with its self-updating process that wasn't fixed from the last time (MS - you of all people should know not to assume the default user is running with administrator access by default - bad practice). It also did NOT resolve the CPU problem for me this time (thanks MS - seems you've broken it as well).
Will keep playing around to see if I can fix it...