I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T00:28:54+00:00

    I had the exact problem except its in the top right

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T01:04:23+00:00

    I have the same computer as Lee and these options are not available. Also it acts just the same as his. I have tried everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-03T08:16:47+00:00

    What's the driver called??? Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-31T22:09:53+00:00

    The exact same thing has happened to me! I have an aspire v5, and today I opened up my laptop and there was a crack in the lower left hand of the screen, but I have no idea how it got there, and just like you, my laptop goes crazy and then it stops for a bit and starts all over again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-24T11:35:02+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the update.

    You might be facing teh issue due to the damage on teh touch screen. So, I would suggest you to contact Acer support. they would help you better with teh issue.

    http://community.acer.com/

    You can get back to us anytime for any queries related to Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments