Same problem here- laptop fell, screen cracked, the machine gun. Working perfectly otherwsie, so what I did was-
Device Manager - Human Interface Device - USB Input Device - Disable.
It should be done
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose. I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen. Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part. It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing. I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive. The computer is 6 months old and unusable. I still owe on it. Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight. It really is tough as I use it in my work.
I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all? I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable. I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Same problem here- laptop fell, screen cracked, the machine gun. Working perfectly otherwsie, so what I did was-
Device Manager - Human Interface Device - USB Input Device - Disable.
It should be done
What I do is entering Device Manager - Human Interface Device-HID-compliant devices-Touch Screen disable it Then the computer works like a non-touch screen computer. Though it still **** me off, but it can work and the cost is another mouse. Much cheaper than a new one or a replacement of a touch screen.
HELLO TO ALL.
I CRACKED MY SCREEN THIS MORNING, ;-(
TO TURN OFF TOUCH FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
2.GO TO HARDWARE & SOUND
7.RESTART COMPUTER
THAT'S IT HAVE A GREAT DAY
THIS WORKS ON WINDOWS 8.
NOW IF SOMEONE CAN POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR A REPLACEMENT DIGITIZER FOR MY ACER ASPIRE V5-571P-6473
THANKS
What's the driver called?
If you use the Device Manager method you don't need to know the driver. The Properties dialog will show you a Disable button. Have you found a device which does multi-touch?
In case it helps you get a clue for us try this WMI query (e.g. in an Administrator Command Prompt):
C:>wmic.exe Path Win32_PnPEntity where (Description like "%touch%") get Description
In fact, if you find a likely one that way you could change your pattern to match just it and then list all its properties with (for example)
C:>wmic.exe Path Win32_PnPEntity where (Description like "%multitouch%") get /format:list
E.g. in my case MultiTouch is a sufficient pattern to uniquely match one device.
FYI
Robert
Mine's in the top right corner. It cracked less then 3 weeks in my possession. Apparently there is no way to turn off the touch screen so we either have to deal with it or pay for a brand new screen! Ridiculous! So infuriated!