"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Anonymous
2012-03-22T06:15:53+00:00

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-22T18:46:26+00:00

Hi,

Is the thumb drive formatted as FAT 32 (File Allocation Table 32) or NTFS (New Technology File System)?

Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a file system object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

If you do not have any data on the thumb drive, then you can format the drive. If the data is not backed up then you need to backup the data from the thumb drive on to the computer hard drive and then restore it back after performing the format.

Try formatting the thumb drive in NTFS format and check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Insert the thumb drive and go Start menu and then Computer.

b.      Right click on the thumb drive and click Format.

c.       Under "File System" select "NTFS" and then click Start. Once the format is done, check to see if you can copy the files successfully.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T10:11:43+00:00

    I seriously can't believe no one's given a decent solution to this issue yet.

    I also have the same issue:  Yes, I get it, FAT drives can't store these extra properties, message received.

    But how do I disable these annoying messages when copying a batch of files from my laptop onto an external hard disc ?

    Sometimes, copying a set of folders from my laptop to my external drive can result in 3 dialog boxes popping asking "Hey, are you sure you want to copy this folder without its properties ?"   Three times !

    If I then copy some more files, I might get those prompts upto three times again.  And again.  And again.

    I need my drive to be FAT, so my MacBook can also read and write to this drive, so suggesting "Ahhh, just reformat the drive as NTFS" does not solve my problem.

    I just want my Windows 7 machine to be less annoying about it.

    So, again, how can I disable these annoying messages ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-15T16:09:28+00:00

    I too want to turn this off! It is super annoying!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-24T13:07:37+00:00

    Use das Freeware Programm

    CopyMik

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-13T10:22:43+00:00

    As far as I know!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments