"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Anonymous
2012-03-22T06:15:53+00:00

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" when coping .jpg files to thumbdrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-22T18:46:26+00:00

Hi,

Is the thumb drive formatted as FAT 32 (File Allocation Table 32) or NTFS (New Technology File System)?

Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a file system object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

If you do not have any data on the thumb drive, then you can format the drive. If the data is not backed up then you need to backup the data from the thumb drive on to the computer hard drive and then restore it back after performing the format.

Try formatting the thumb drive in NTFS format and check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these steps.

a.       Insert the thumb drive and go Start menu and then Computer.

b.      Right click on the thumb drive and click Format.

c.       Under "File System" select "NTFS" and then click Start. Once the format is done, check to see if you can copy the files successfully.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-27T03:12:04+00:00

    I started having this problem about a month ago. I think maybe from a recent update? Aargh! I hope this gets fixed soon.

    Yeah, this isn't a NTFS to FAT32 issue, this is a NEW issue that just started happening to me as well.  I've had windows 7 for years and years and copied to and fro various devices without a single hiccup and then all of the sudden, after I copy I start to get these errors with the exact same devices.  Happened in the last month ish as well.  (Spring 2015)

    There has to be something in the registry that I can change to stop these new messages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-20T12:44:32+00:00

    I started having this problem about a month ago. I think maybe from a recent update? Aargh! I hope this gets fixed soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T15:41:14+00:00

    Since you mentioned the McDonalds case in reference to frivolous lawsuits, perhaps you are already aware:  that woman did not sue McDonalds because they didn’t tell her the coffee was hot. She sued them because it was *extremely* hot, and when she spilled it (yes - her fault, so she didn’t get all she was claiming) she received third degree burns to 6% of her body, and spent eight days in the hospital for treatment including skin grafts. She was partially disabled for two years after this incident. There’s hot and then there’s scalding, boiling-flesh HOT. I used to use that example in my own sarcastic comments about idiot lawsuits- but I don’t use this one anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-21T14:25:07+00:00

    Hi,

    Your Windows question is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited in the TechNet forums.

    Please post your question in the TechNet forums: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb512923

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments