Windows 8 Explorer.exe keeps crashing and restarting

Anonymous
2012-11-06T07:06:03+00:00

Hi

I upgraded my windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 pro couple of weeks before when windows released. After the upgrade the explorer.exe getting restarted every 1 minute. I thought the upgrade was not fine and did a clean install afterwards.. Everything was fine for two weeks and then today

the same problem happened

The explorer is getting restarted and it is no annoying that i cannot use my thinkpad

Please find the error log in found in event viewer

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50107dbc

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16420, time stamp: 0x505ab405

Exception code: 0xc000071f

Fault offset: 0x000000000011808f

Faulting process ID: 0xf00

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbbec7ad21138

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report ID: ddf2f77e-27df-11e2-be75-685d432e670f

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-27T02:18:58+00:00

    My issue resolved itself at some point, probably after an automatic update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-26T08:47:17+00:00

    Hi,

    To avoid confusion, we would suggest you to create a thread of your own.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-23T12:25:58+00:00

    I'm having the same issue:

    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.2.9200.16433, time stamp: 0x50763312

    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

    Exception code: 0xc0000005

    Fault offset: 0x000007f8f078000a

    Faulting process id: 0x1a38

    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce11bd93fa748b

    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

    Faulting module path: unknown

    Report Id: f8540ca1-7db1-11e2-bef2-0050b65c54e5

    Faulting package full name:

    Faulting package-relative application ID:

    And I've applied all the updates from both Lenovo and Microsoft.

    I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon and did a clean install of Windows 8.

    The only thing that really seems to trigger this for me is when I try to use "File Explorer" to navigate to files. Some days it is fine... Other days I can't get anything done.

    I do not have Mozy backup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-31T04:27:53+00:00

    I am having what appears to be the same problem with my Windows 8 install.

     

    My windows explorer continually crashes and restarts every ~10 seconds once something triggers it to fail. Then it will loop for several minutes at a time.

     

    I cannot start to follow your instructions as I have a notebook Asus U31SD without an optical drive so I had to download the upgrade.

     

    Can you please help - my computer is now completely unusable until I get this sorted.

    Hi, did you find a resolution to this?  I am having the same issue also.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-31T04:23:30+00:00

    I also have this problem.  Has anyone found a resolution?  I can't do anything for 2-3 minutes until the crash/restart loop finishes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments