Error number: 0x80244019 in Windows XP Home SP2

Anonymous
2012-09-22T08:27:10+00:00

I just clean installed Win XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP 2 on a Dell Dimension 2400.

I am trying to install windows updates but I get Error number: 0x80244019.

I am able to browse the web through internet explorer on this computer. Connection is fine.

Please suggest how I can access windows updates? I would like to install Service Pack 3.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-22T12:10:08+00:00

Hi,

Install SP3 by downloading and running from...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

You can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

Whether this will solve the 0x80244019 error is not certain. I know it will solve other errors but I have no specific knowledge of whether it will solve this error so please would you be kind enough to report back to us about this?

Tricky

EDIT: Many people are now reporting that SP3 does solve Windows Update error 0x80244019

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-22T18:05:36+00:00

    Assuming that the obvious error of 0x80244019 is not the error you are getting, what error message is it that you are getting?

    Windows Updates errors 0x8024400A and 0x80240036 are also known to have the same cause and can also be solved by the advice in my original answer.

    Tricky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-22T17:47:06+00:00

    i have installed  winxp sp 2. i want to upgrade the version sp2 to sp3. i have getting the error message continuesly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-21T22:35:52+00:00

    Hi,

    I have covered your scenario in other threads about this error. For example see...

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/error-number-0x80244019-on-the-update/fbae0852-b4e3-48fb-a6c9-2f8388e69a62

    In this thread 1978jag had already stated that the current SP level was SP2 in the original question. Therefore it was not necessary to instruct for the possibility that there was no service pack installed.

    Tricky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-21T04:24:44+00:00

    Hi,

    Install SP3 by downloading and running from...

    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

    You can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

    Whether this will solve the 0x80244019 error is not certain. I know it will solve other errors but I have no specific knowledge of whether it will solve this error so please would you be kind enough to report back to us about this?

    Tricky

    Hi, Tricky

    I downloaded SP3 from the link you provided. Just before the installer was about to start I got an error message giving me a long file path  "c:\Documents and Settings\Meridius\My documents\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-SNU.exe is not a valid Win32 Application" It will not let me download this SP. Please help me out!

    I had this exact same problem.  After trying different things I wondered if I had to have a prior version or earlier Service Pack version before I could download Service Pack 3.  I checked my programs (Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs) and discovered I did not have any Service Packs downloaded.  I did further research and discovered you must have either Service Pack 1A or Service Pack 2 before attempting to download Service Pack 3.  Once I downloaded Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft.com  website, I was able to successfully download Service Pack 3 from the above link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments