Error number: 0x80244019 in Windows XP Home SP2

Anonymous
2012-09-22T08:27:10+00:00

I just clean installed Win XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP 2 on a Dell Dimension 2400.

I am trying to install windows updates but I get Error number: 0x80244019.

I am able to browse the web through internet explorer on this computer. Connection is fine.

Please suggest how I can access windows updates? I would like to install Service Pack 3.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-22T12:10:08+00:00

Hi,

Install SP3 by downloading and running from...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

You can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

Whether this will solve the 0x80244019 error is not certain. I know it will solve other errors but I have no specific knowledge of whether it will solve this error so please would you be kind enough to report back to us about this?

Tricky

EDIT: Many people are now reporting that SP3 does solve Windows Update error 0x80244019

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-06T02:20:24+00:00

    I tried this and it tells me the download is not for 32bit systems - can you please provide a download that is, since I cannot access the windows update site?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-09-30T19:21:04+00:00

    Hi,

    In future, it might be better to start your own thread rather than tack on to the end of someone else's. However, the problem you are describing is typically associated with a corrupt download.

    I would first suggest that you try downloading again.

    If that fails, try with an alternate browser, e.g. if your problem occurred with a download through Internet Explorer, try Firefox or Chrome.

    As a final alternative I would suggest trying the download at a different PC and saving to, for example, a USB memory stick. Then run that download on the PC that you wish to upgrade.

    If all the above fails, then I would suggest starting a new thread stating what you are trying to do, what methods you have used to try to do it and finally what problems you encountered.

    Tricky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-30T03:37:59+00:00

    Hi,

    Install SP3 by downloading and running from...

    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

    You can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

    Whether this will solve the 0x80244019 error is not certain. I know it will solve other errors but I have no specific knowledge of whether it will solve this error so please would you be kind enough to report back to us about this?

    Tricky

    Hi, Tricky

    I downloaded SP3 from the link you provided. Just before the installer was about to start I got an error message giving me a long file path  "c:\Documents and Settings\Meridius\My documents\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-SNU.exe is not a valid Win32 Application" It will not let me download this SP. Please help me out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-30T00:48:54+00:00

    I just wanted to say that this is a very valuable link to a clean install of Win XP SP3. Every tech should have this install on a flash drive for earlier versions of Windows.

    I had the same error code and this worked great. Another piece of feed back is that when I tried to run Windows update it installed the first activeX program but before it could run the second one I got an error code 0x80072EE2 which I found out was a connection issue. At the time I was using a remote desktop program. I just closed Windows update and then reopened it and I get no error codes and update runs fine.

    Thanks for the help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments