The "more information" link on a driver update redirects to a different site.

Anonymous
2012-03-14T12:05:44+00:00

Original title : Windows Update "More Information" link broken

Windows Update (in Windows 7 64-bit) notified me of a driver update. I clicked the "More Information" link, and was taken to a webpage at "winqual.microsoft.com". This told me that the site has moved to "sysdev.microsoft.com", and I could find no way to find more information about this driver update.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-03T13:59:21+00:00

    Thank YOU for explaining the original problem so clearly. 

    Hey, I just noticed...there have been a few yes votes yes under "was this helpful?"  Maybe Microsoft isn't reading the problem because they think the original fix worked and we're all appreciative of they're technical genius.  When I responded the first time, it automatically gave my answer a yes, or at least there was no way of answering no that I could find.  So we've got another problem.  I'd happily give the all the user's who have posted a yes for describing a common problem, but NOT Microsoft's answer to the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-03T08:42:32+00:00

    Same problem here, and I find it highly unprofessional that this still isn't fixed. While this thread is relatively new, the problem is not, as we can see  here:

    http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/273796-explanations-updates-shielded-behind-winqual-microsoft-com.html

    It's been around since 2010!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-03T14:18:27+00:00

    Your welcome!

    I don't think the "helpful" flags affect Microsoft's response time; I think it's just the "This reply answered my question" button, which I haven't clicked. (Presumably only I can do that?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-02T21:10:11+00:00

    Problem still exists as of April 2. Hard to believe not a single person at Microsoft has taken notice of this. (Or rather, a single person who both cares and has the power to do anything about it)

    But then I've heard it said (and basically agree), that it's usually better to avoid optional updates (particularly drivers for hardware), because you can't uninstall them as you can with "important" updates. Better to get them directly from the hardware vendor website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-03-15T10:54:31+00:00

    Hi,

    1. Are you connected on a domain?
    2. Do you get any error message?
    3. Was it a failed update? What did it say in the Update History?

    Method 1:

    I would suggest you to run the Windows update troubleshooter and check.

    Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

    Method 2:

    If the issue does not get resolved then I suggest you to go through the steps and run the automated FIXIT from the link mentioned below:

    Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates

    Also refer:

    You cannot install some updates or programs

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

    Method 3:

    Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly Update drivers: recommended links http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links

    If it was a video card driver I would suggest you to go directly to the manufacturer’s website to get it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments