How do I remove libraries, favorites from Windows explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-12T04:28:04+00:00

Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

The only options I have found so far is to download and install batches/scripts, etc.  Is there a simpler way?

I am running Windows 7 , 64bit Home - Premium Edition.  Thanks for any help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-12T17:53:04+00:00

Hi,


You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.


**Registry disclaimer:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry


To Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

b.     Now go to following key:

c. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

d.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

e.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

f.      It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

g.     Click on OK button to apply the changes.

h.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to b090010d

i.      Log off or restart your system and "Libraries" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane, change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d using step 4.


To Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

a.     Now go to following key:

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder

c.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

d.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

e.     It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

f.      Click on OK button to apply the changes.

g.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100

h.     Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane, simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T18:46:39+00:00

    As I said there is a difference between "show" and "enable", and between "Don't show" and "disable."  You can show or not show but you cant disable, they are always enabled unless you do a regedit hack.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T18:15:11+00:00

    Just go to folder options/ View/ Scroll all the way to the bottom and Uncheck Show Libraries.

    I would also Uncheck show all folders too.

    That way all you have is This PC shown that and Quick access which can also be minimized which I do it bites anyway on the folder options General section on the bottom in Privacy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T12:24:16+00:00

    I don't understand ThrashZone 's reply.  I did not enable Libraries, they automatically appeared. If there were a way to enable them where would be a way to disable them. I have followed the idea of going to Windows Explorer and in View > Navigation pane and unchecking Show  libraries and Show all folders.  Libraries disappear in Windows Explorer, but they are still here; I use explorer2 lite by Zabkat and can see Libraries.

    This is one of those stupid MS situations that cause FileHistory to regularly add extra folders to backup, because FileHistory thinks you want Libraries backed up even when you continue to delete them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-10T11:47:17+00:00

    Hello Babu V  You provided a way of disabling libraries in Win 7.  Would this work for Win 10?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments