How do I remove libraries, favorites from Windows explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-12T04:28:04+00:00

Original Title: How do i remove libraries from explorer?

How do I remove libraries from windows explorer? Everytime I open up explorer it goes straight to libraries and when I right-click it , there is no option to delete libraries.  I have deleted the individual libraries, but when I log out and back in, they come back again.  If I could even move it to the bottom of the Navigation pane or hide it under another folder that would help. 

Would also like to do the same with Favorites.

The only options I have found so far is to download and install batches/scripts, etc.  Is there a simpler way?

I am running Windows 7 , 64bit Home - Premium Edition.  Thanks for any help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-12T17:53:04+00:00

Hi,


You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.


**Registry disclaimer:**This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry


To Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

b.     Now go to following key:

c. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

d.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

e.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

f.      It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

g.     Click on OK button to apply the changes.

h.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to b090010d

i.      Log off or restart your system and "Libraries" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane, change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d using step 4.


To Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer, follow the suggestion given below.


a.     Click Start, click  Run, type regedit in run

Or click start menu, in the search box type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

a.     Now go to following key:

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder

c.     Now you'll need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have proper permissions.

d.     To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".

e.     It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission.

f.      Click on OK button to apply the changes.

g.     Now double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100

h.     Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane, simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-23T05:56:18+00:00

    OK - we've established above that the "Show libraries" options in various parts of the interface have either no function, or one that is obscure to a reasonably savvy user (I'm not an expert, but I starting using computers around 1980 running DOS, then eventually migrated to Windows in its various flavors).

    The third option in the TenForums article previously referred to led me to the Explorer -> View -> Navigation Pane menu, which also contains the now infamous and misleading/non-functional "Show libraries" option, but also includes a "Show all folders" option, which I unchecked just to see what would happen.  Lo and behold! Hosanah!  Libraries are gone - I couldn't believe my eyes. 

    Now please note that unchecking this option also removes:

    • The top Desktop link (but there's still a Desktop link under "This PC" - which in fact makes you wonder why you needed two such links before.  Link bloat!
    • A link to your username, which when clicked shows in the right hand panel very similar , but slightly different, content as under This PC.  Makes you wonder whether anyone at Microsoft did any usability testing on this thing.
    • You do use Libraries. Amen!
    • You use the link to Control Panel.  I guess I can live with that.
    • You also use the link to the Recycle Bin.  I can also live with that as the Recycle Bin exist on the desktop.

    If, you find a better, more obvious way, to achieve this, please post!  This has been a frustrating exercise, but in the end fun...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-23T05:34:30+00:00

    Note that http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4222-libraries-navigation-pane-hide-show-windows-10-a.html suggests different ways to remove the libraries (that don't entail doing any registry edit), however as far as I can tell they don't seem to work.

    If you collapse all primary folders under This PC, and right click in the blank area below, you do see a "Show libraries" item, which was checked when I first saw it - however unchecking it doesn't appear to have any impact on Explorer.  Same deal with the "Show libraries" at the very bottom of This PC -> View menu -> Options -> View -> Advanced settings.  It makes you wonder what these commands control!

    I'll keep looking :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-23T05:09:19+00:00

    Why?

    Because the fact that you find them useful has no bearing on what I like, and I do NOT find them useful.  They're in my way, they pop up when I don't want them!

    Can't we agree that we can be different, in fact that we ARE different.  I'm not asking to force my views on you, just for me to handle my data the way I like.  If i wanted a single way of doing things, I would buy an Apple machine - you get locked in a single source for your hardware, UI, presentation, way of thinking, etc.  The world is bigger than that!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments