Want to find out if this was scam .

Anonymous
2012-10-09T13:17:27+00:00

I just got called from Microsoft office in california , and im from eastern europe so i find this strange . They didnt asked for any account information or something like that . They just told me that someone is stealing my inditity  or something like that , then asked me to type www.fastsupport.com in my browser , and after that to instal "GoToAssist" .After that they installed Advanced WindowCare V2 on my pc , show me the problems i have , and offer me to buy some program from Microsoft , with 1 year plan, 5 years plan, life plan . I didnt buy it so I wonder was that a scam or anything like that , and should i be afraid . And after they finished they uinstalled those programs from my pc. If that wasnt scam and my pc is in the condition they said , i might buy it .

Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-09T13:50:50+00:00

FTC HALTS MASSIVE TECH SUPPORT SCAMS:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/10/pecon.shtm

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-01T20:36:38+00:00

Hi Crystal,

To answer your question, they may be able to access your personal information. We suggest that you change your password for security purposes.

We also recommend you to read this article regarding technical support scams so you can avoid cyber scam via phone calls.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-31T19:48:13+00:00

    I had that problem with microsoft and norton security a few times. I knew that something was wrong when I asked questions of some things they wanted to do and then after a few questions the line went silent. I just recently also had the same thing with comcast and the same thing happened. If it sounds funny or wrong ask questions before letting them take remote access and installing something on your computer. They are scamming to sell or take your money for supposed security protection and they probably put a worm or trojan to monitor your computer to do other things. Be aware of this type of operation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T06:52:03+00:00

    Windows 8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T00:17:10+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments