Getting blue screen error with "video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error" message

Anonymous
2011-07-30T18:50:18+00:00

Original Title: Blue screen of death :'(Hello,

My troubles began yesterday when my Acer PC froze unexpectedly. I restarted it and it worked well for a few hours but then I got my first ever blue screen of death which told me "video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error". After a few Google searches on this I reinstalled the driver for my video driver. I also ran system restore.

I switched on my PC today and not long after I started using it I got another blue screen but this time it told me the error was REFERENCE_BY_POINTER STOP: 0x00000018, 0X0000000 0x8A419DD8, 0x00000002, 0xFFFFFFFF

My PC has Windows Vista x86 32bit. I purchased it new in August 2009 with Vista installed already. I have not reformatted the PC or reinstalled Windows since purchasing it. My video card is Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

Please help me fix this!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-30T22:18:23+00:00

    The REFERENCE_BY_POINTER stop error did not show a third party driver caused the crash.

    However the process that crashed was the "RapportService", a component of Trusteer Rapport.

    I woud suggest to uninstall, at least temporarily. the Trusteer Rapport software and see if the situation improves.

    Also, from the Event Viewer, there appeared to be an NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM stop error on July 29.

    So consider running a chkdsk /r on the hard disk.

    To run a chkdsk /r follow Steps 1 to 10 in the following link:

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

    Running a chkdsk /r has the potential to take a long time and, as a general precaution, backup any critical files beforehand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-30T20:01:06+00:00

    Post it here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-30T19:58:39+00:00

    Ok I've created a folder called "Public" on SkyDrive with the minidump files in them, how do I post the link to this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-30T19:50:09+00:00

    It may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger.

    Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

    The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

    If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

    Also, you do not necessarily have to zip up the minidump files, you can upload them one at a time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments