How do I delete huge files from System Volume Information?

Anonymous
2011-08-16T11:37:52+00:00

I have three large hard disks that I use to store backups of the system.  Some program -- I think it was the defragmenter -- caused Win 7 to place huge files (> 4 GB) in System Volume Information.  Nothing I do wil let me delete these files.  I cannot even take ownership of them.  When I try to take ownership of either the file or of System Volume Information I receive an "Access is denied" error on the file name.  Nothing should prevent an administrator from taking ownership of any file on his system.  How can I delete these huge files?  Please do not answer "Use Disk Cleanup to delete all but the last restore point."  That runs, but it deletes nothing.  On a previous installation of Win 7, I could take ownership of System Volume Information and delete its contents, but ot on this new installation.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T10:05:51+00:00

Hello,

The System Volume information folder keeps the Restore point entries. Usually it is not recommended to delete the entries from the System volume information.

Step 1 : Stop the Volume shadow copy service.

a:  Go to Start - Run and type Services.msc then press enter.

b: Under the Status column look for any entries that read as "Started", make it as “Stopped”.

**c:**Click apply and then ok.

Step 2 : Then take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

How do I open a file if I get an access denied message?

Hope that helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-13T02:52:18+00:00

    Apparently you can just use disk cleanup.  Right click the drive, choose disk cleanup and let it scan.  Then go to the more options tab and select cleanup system restore and shadow copies.  it will delete all but the newest.  And then follow the other instructions here to reduce the allowed size for system restore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T14:36:38+00:00

    Control panel/system/system protection(tab)/Configure

    Turn OFF system protection

    Set slider bar to minimum usage

    Delete all restore points (this clears System Volume Information)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-28T02:45:34+00:00

    Amongst other things the System Volume information folder contains these items which can grow to large or very large size:

    1- System Restore points.  You can disable System Restore to delete the restore points, re-enable it after the points are deleted.

    2-Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) snapshots.

    These may be helpful:

    How to purge the Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) snapshots if they do not get deleted automatically after the backup of Shadow Copy Components.

    How to delete system files from the System Volume Information folder

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-28T01:35:58+00:00

    I have 70 files in System Volume Information-348.5GB of space, Theres NO WAY to delete these?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments