How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-22T21:19:56+00:00

    I'm adding my vote for Microsoft to fix this issue.

    On my dual screen setup...

    19" acer monitor is set my primary display via DVI and was assigned #2 in Windows.

    24" HDTV is set as my secondary display via HDMI and was assigned #1 in Windows.

    If I press Win+P it says my 24" HDTV is my PC screen and my 19" acer is my second screen.

    No amount of tweaking or disconnecting or deleting or disabling or dancing around fixes this.

    MS techs... Please let us switch numbers 1 and 2.

    Edit...

    This is on Windows 10 with an Nvidia GTX750Ti graphics card. I've read elsewhere that graphics cards assign the displays starting from the topmost video output, which makes sense because the GTX750Ti has in order from top to bottom... Displayport, HDMI, and finally DVI. For kicks and giggles I bought a displayport to DVI adapter and plugged my acer 19" monitor into that instead of the previous DVI, and it correctly identifies as #1 (PC screen) in Windows, and my TV is now correctly shown as #2 (second screen).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-21T19:48:23+00:00

    ANSWER (more for original poster)

    I read a whole lot of not answers so here is a fix that worked for me and yes I do understand your issue. At first I had a no success in fixing this ...i tried disabling the other monitor and then re enabling it ...i tried switching the dvi ports on the back of pc ..i tried the windows setting and catalyst control setting (amd/ati cards) and nothing would actually change my 1440p monitor to monitor 1 instead of 2.

    Easy fix that worked....unplug the number 2 monitor with computer on in windows and you will see the number 2 change to a number one...then plug back in the other monitor and it changes to monitor 2.  Hope that works for you as well.  Seems silly it was that easy to fix since i tried so many other things that did not work...i hit identify and now my #2 monitor is #1 and both work fine.

    Reason i needed this was that a game in steam that did not support 1440p normally I wanted to force -fullscreen through console and it did not work if my 1440p monitor was #2 even though it was primary

    I tried this, and it did not work for me.  My primary monitor has been assigned to 2, and the secondary monitor to 1.  If I unplug the secondary monitor, then the primary monitor is assigned #1. Then if I plug back in the secondary monitor, the primary monitor reverts back to #2 and the secondary again is #1.  I even tried to reboot with only the primary monitor, and then plug in after windows started, the secondary monitor - no luck. It still made it #1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-13T16:54:38+00:00

    Also would like to see a resolution. Agree with the above. It's not the monitor assignments, it's the monitor number assignment. Had A Dell monitor attached to a desktop PC using the DVI port on a Nvidia

    GTX 660 graphics card. This was my primary monitor and wanted it to stay that way. Attached a Sony TV

    that is in another room via the HDMI port on the GTX 660. I have it set that the display is duplicated on both screens. Upon attaching, Windows immediately assigned the TV to be #1 and the Dell #2 and nothing I do seems to be able to change this.

        Aside from the problems presented above with the #1 and #2 being switched, consider this.

    Upon the startup of Windows, the startup screens are not shown on the #2 monitor even if the #1 is not turned on. First screen that pops up is the one asking for the password. Thus, if you are having a problem and want to hit the F12 say for example, in my case you'll have to do it via the TV in another room. All this could be avoided if the user had the ability to assign the monitor number.

         I am running:

         Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-960 processor @3.2GHz (8MB L2 Cache)

         16GB DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800

         Nvidia(R) GeForce(R) GTX 660 2GB

         Dell XPS 9100 Desktop

         Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1

         All drivers up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-17T18:07:52+00:00

    Palcouk,

    Would you please explain what you mean by "drag the monitor to the required location". I've tried dragging the monitor and it's not changing anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments