How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T16:52:57+00:00

    This post doesn't actually answer the users quandary.  The user is specifically looking to change the device assignment of monitors in a multi-monitor environment.  This is necessary because several products use these identifiers when resolving how to display certain data (web applications, ProFx and Go To Meeting specifically).

    I believe this has something to do with the values and objects in the Hive Key HKLM\Hardware\DeviceMap\Video,  I have not had the chance to modify these as of yet.

    Furthermore, Microsoft really needs to do a better job of moderating these posts to remove erroneous and/or inapplicable answers.  Especially when it only takes one person to "Find this useful" for it to suddenly become the top answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-12T18:33:49+00:00

    Rt click on the desktop> screen resolution, drag the monitor to required location

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-04T15:09:30+00:00

    No one seems to get it. The problem people are talking about with this is NOT being able to assign primary and secondary monitors or assigning your "primary display". A monkey could figure this out. It is not being able to CHANGE THE MONITOR NUMBERS....period. Windows 7 obviously has a fault that you CAN NOT change the numbers that Windows automatically assigns to the monitors/displays in a multi display setup. The "change display settings on multiple monitors" article, while good willed, is useless in regards to this problem. Microsoft needs to put out a fix for this that allows users to assign the monitor numbers themselves as there are many situations where this is critical to applications and programs to function correctly. I am having a MAJOR problem on our dual monitor systems at work because of this bug. COME ON MICROSOFT....GET ON IT ALREADY. This in not a new problem.

    Has there been a resolution to this problem?

    Drag n Drop the blue icons for monitors within the 'Display - Screen Resolution' dialog box of 'Control Panel' has no effect whatsoever! 

    I can drag the icon for monitor 1 to the right and click on Apply, but 'Identify' still shows monitor 1 as my left side monitor, even though the 'Screen Resolution' dialog box shows it on the right side where I had dragged it. 

    I tried swapping the monitor cables between my two DVI ports, no luck! 

    I tried rebooting with only the right hand monitor connected; as soon as I connect the second (left side) monitor - to EITHER DVI port - Windows switches the monitor Identities back to 1 on the left and 2 on the right even while the 'Screen Resolution' dialog box shows 1 on the right!! 

    I am running Win 7 Pro 4 bit.  1GB EVGA NVidia GTX 650 with Two DVI ports. All drivers up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-13T20:57:46+00:00

    Well, for what I have been able to figure out is the  number value is for grahpics/video driver use, port assignment. No way to change this that I know of.

    You can make any monitor/TV primary display in monitor resolution support on your system.

    I have (3) video ports, HDMI, DVI, and VGA.

    My TV is attached to HDMI, which is assigned number 1.

    My main monitor (my primary monitor which I set when I set up my system) is attached to DVI, which is assigned number 2.

    My second monitor is attached to VGA which is assigned to number 3.

    If I remove the HDMI cable, my DVI becomes number 1, and my VGA becomes number 2, If I also remove the DVI cable, my VGA becomes number 1.

    It does not matter which ports I have attach too, HDMI on my PC will always show number 1 when attached. DVI will only show number 1 when there is no HDMI attached, VGA will only show number 1 when there is no HDMI or DVI attached.

    Port numbering does not hinder monitor or TV use.

    And yes there is things that are annoying, if you have to do a fresh OS install you will need to reassign primary monitor, (a wireless mouse is handy to have).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments