How to make Windows 7 look like XP

Anonymous
2010-12-31T03:44:28+00:00

We purchased a new laptop for our 73 year old father who was just getting used to Win XP.  He has asked if there is any way to make the interface look and work like XP?  So my question is:  is there any way to make the interface look and work like XP?

Brian

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2011-01-13T19:43:52+00:00

If you want that same classic mode (the gray toolbars and such), that does exist in Windows 7.  Just right-click your desktop, choose Personalize, then scroll down and click "Windows Classic".


If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-31T14:01:43+00:00

For the most part it already does, because it was built from Windows XP.  For example, all windows still have the familiar _ and X buttons to minimize and close them.  You can also change the taskbar to show the words rather than just icons, or make other changes as you need.  While there's no "XP button", changes like this can get close.

If you are simply wanting the visual style to look like XP without changing any function, you can use a skinning program such as WindowBlinds by StarDock.


If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-17T03:24:09+00:00

    Question for anyone who can help...

    All the fixes to make Win 7 work like XP seem to be focused on trivia like graphics backdrops, minor changes in taskbar, etc.   What I need is to be able to keep multiple windows open in different places on desktop, and each window remembers its own settings (size and location).  eg.  in XP, I have misc pgm launches iconized in a window that opens way over on left every time, and documents library in different window that always opens centre of DT.   That's only one example -- do misc CAD work with multiple tasks going on in about 10 specialized windows on two monitors.   Works a lot like the "program groups" method in old 3.1   But Win 7 seems to keep forcing each new window to open wherever one I was just using opened.  Secondly, I need to be able to manually custom position icons in my various windows, whereas Win 7 seems fixated on auto-arrange.   In XP's windows I have my tool icons arranged with most frequently used top left, etc.   The way it worked in XP was very efficient for multi-tasking, which I have to do regularly.  Win 7 seems to have totally removed those capabilities.  I can handle taskbars and start menus that look a little different, but this loss of efficient window handling is a much bigger problem.   All the third party overlays I've seen touted seem to be just Window dressing, and I already have a better explorer for straight file management (XYplorer).   It's the basic DT window handling that is a really serious issue.   Anyone have a cure?  Thanks  ds

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-23T20:23:05+00:00

    I hope by 2020, everything I need to run will run on Linux

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-20T01:26:49+00:00

    Complete Instructions:

    R-Click=Right Click

    1. R-Click the desktop
    2. Click Personalize
    3. Click the theme that says "Windows Classic"
    4. R-Click the taskbar
    5. Check Use small taskbar buttons
    6. In the Taskbar buttons: menu select either Combine when taskbar is fullor Never Combine
    7. Click OK
    8. Yay!!! :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments