There is a whole cottage industry developing to provide hacks and utilities to make Win 7 work and look like XP
Get classic shell (open source, sourceforge), it will make the taskbar, explorer and the start button work like XP.
Go online to how to geek and there are all sorts of tutorials to change the desktop, file manager, folders etc. to look and work like XP.
Go to thoosje (?) these people have a utility that will allow you to change the boot and login screens to look like XP and much more, you can have almost any look you want.
You can get the alt tab functionality back, you can get the "up" button back and many other things, you just have to rummage around on the Internet using creative queries to unearth the changes you want.
I guess there are many users that don't like the new GUI, I can understand why they just want to get their work done and all this re-modeling is getting in the way of the work.
I hope this helps, yes there is a way to get what you want even though Microsoft has made it hard. I am also looking into using autohotkey (a free scripting utility) to add other things. But, programming and scripting may not be your thing.