Win 7 Sound recorder- audio recording device cannot be found

Anonymous
2009-11-19T03:42:14+00:00

Fresh install (new drive) of Win 7 Hiome Premium 64 bit on Dell XPS 420 Quad Core.  When I launch sound recorder it gives an error that audio recording device cannot be found.  Mic is plugged in front jack.  This worked with Vista.  I enabled show disabled devices and sho disconnected devices.  Any ideas?  I also tried rear mic jack.  I scanned for hardware changes.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-02T18:19:39+00:00

I did the things you mentioned above:

1.) method 1:  Windows 7 responded that it could not identify the problem

2.) method 2:  checked the show disabled devices and still no devices appear.  It still says no audio devices installed under the recording tab.

3.) method 3:  attempted to update driver and Win 7 reports I have the most up to date driver already

Any ideas?

There is really no other solution than a better driver for the device.


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-26T16:03:34+00:00

    Thanks for your help. I used method 2 and it worked perfectly. :*)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-24T20:33:26+00:00

    After writing a script for a new video I was ready to record voice for it.  I was starting to go crazy trying to figure out why I could record with jing but not with windows 7 recorder.

    I used method 2 - only instead of right clicking and a mic showing up, my sound card showed up so I enabled that.  works great!!!

    Very cool - 

    Thanks a million Shekhar!

    Tutoring Club Chesapeake va

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-05T16:46:01+00:00

    Download and install Virtual Audio Cable.  Then install an audio recorder like Total Recorder.  Virtual Audio Cable doesn't come with a signed driver so you will have to disable Driver Signing before the install.  This is the only work around I have found to get your WHAT U HEAR back that we had in XP.  The best I can figure that it is not a driver problem, it is the way Microsoft built Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-04T13:23:49+00:00

    Thank you sooo much Shek, my device wasnt defult and troubleshooting helped. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! being trying to fix for ages

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments