When I boot I get the following msg: "error: no such partition" followed by "Grub rescue"

Anonymous
2010-08-16T00:35:04+00:00

Original Title:grub rescue?

I deleted the Linux partition on my hard drive.  The windows partition is still there.  When I boot I get the following msg:

error: no such partition

grub rescue>

alright, so I install Windows 7 media and I boot,  I choose  "Repair your computer," and it searches for my windows installations and then there is Windows 7 highlighted to use recovery tools.

 I am presented with either "Next>" or "Load Drivers," and I choose "Next>" , and then I choose "Startup Repair"

After Startup Repair, it momentarily searches for the problem, and I get the msg "Startup Repair could not detect a problem."

I am forced to choose "Finish" and reboot but then I am back to step 1 and when I boot I get the same msg: "error: no such partition.  grub rescue>"

Going through the same process, Recovery Tool "System Restore" does appear to be a viable option.  It identifies a restore point, and I haven't tried it because I'll lose some data.

Is there some other way to fix this problem so windows will boot?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-17T20:20:11+00:00

Hi, I just wanted to add that I only did this:

I put in my windows 7 disk and used the command prompt there then used this (Thanks JW and bunch!)

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

Then I exited and restarted.  It then started windows normally.

One more thanks to JW for the steps, I was just wanting to add that I wound up not needing to do the extra steps here.  I had the same issue (where I had deleted Linux and grub still tries to come to up)

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T12:02:31+00:00

    life saver ...i did the same thing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-25T16:46:12+00:00

    Thankyou!! ur a legend i thought u deleted the operating system by mistake.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-03T18:37:36+00:00

    Hi, I just wanted to add that I only did this:

    I put in my windows 7 disk and used the command prompt there then used this (Thanks JW and bunch!)

    f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

    g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

    bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

    bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

    bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

    Then I exited and restarted.  It then started windows normally.

    One more thanks to JW for the steps, I was just wanting to add that I wound up not needing to do the extra steps here.  I had the same issue (where I had deleted Linux and grub still tries to come to up)

     

    Same here.  I tried returning to Startup Repair and got the original "There's nothing wrong" message.  When I rebooted Windows started normally.  Thanks JW and billecorgan.  I am backing up NOW.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-02T08:32:26+00:00

    Thanks alot, you saved my while lot of time. It did work perfectly. Assalam u Alaikum

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments