A quick summarization of the suggestions in the thread:
J W Stuart:
How to repair and reboot to Windows 7:
a) Insert the Windows 7 System Repair DVD or Installation DVD and reboot.
b) Select the correct keyboard input method and click ‘Next’.
Note: If you are using the Windows7 Install DVD then at the 'Install Now' prompt (Do not pick the Install Now option) instead choose the 'Repair your computer' option located in the lower left of the dispay.
c) The System Repair tool will search for a valid operating system and will report that “Windows found problems with your computer’s startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?”
d) Click ‘Repair and restart’ and reboot again to the Windows 7 System Repair environment.
e) Click ‘Next’ at the keyboard selection prompt and when the ‘System Recovery Options’ screen appears verify that the “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows” is selected.
Note that on your Dual Boot system there now should be only one operating system listed. Click the ‘Next’ button.
f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.
g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
h) Close the command prompt window and click the ‘Startup Repair’ option.
i) The repair process may take some time, so wait until the process completes at which point you will see two messages “Windows cannot repair this computer automatically” and “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”.
These messages are the result of the radical changes made by removing the other drive. Ignore the Send/Don’t send options.
J) Close this message window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Send/Don’t send window. Next click on the ‘View advanced options for system recovery and support’ option and from the main menu once again click ‘Startup Repair’. This time
the repair process may only that a few seconds and when prompted “Startup Repair could not detect a problem”, click ‘Finish’ and run the ‘Startup Repair’ option one more time, click ‘Finish’, and then remove the System Repair DVD and click ‘Restart’. Reboot
the computer.
billecorgan:
Hi, I just wanted to add that I only did this:
I put in my windows 7 disk and used the command prompt there then used this (Thanks JW and bunch!)
f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.
g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
Then I exited and restarted. It then started windows normally.
One more thanks to JW for the steps, I was just wanting to add that I wound up not needing to do the extra steps here. I had the same issue (where I had deleted Linux and grub still tries to come to up)
Oye Beto 7:
I had the same problem and SOLVED IT. It works with CDs or USB Flash drives.
Here's how:
- Go to this web page and follow the steps:
http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/windows-wont-load-system-repair-disc-fix-pc/
- Once you can access the command prompt type:
bootrec /fixmbr
press enter and type:
bootrec /fixboot
press enter.
If you want more information about what is this you can go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
- Close the command prompt and restart the computer. Boot from your computer, not the usb.
It might be worth your time looking over the thread in case I missed out on any other suggestions or tips that might help resolve your issue.
If none of the above help, it is probably best for you to create your own thread.
Be sure to include all necessary information that will help with diagnosing your particular issue, including but not limited to:
PC make & model, PC specifications, OS type, a description of what led to the problem you are facing, what steps you have taken in trying to resolve the issue, etc. .
The more specific and detailed you can be, the better it will help with providing you valuable suggestions for troubleshooting your conundrum.
I am going ahead and locking this thread.
Thanks to all of those who helped out with their suggestions!