When I boot I get the following msg: "error: no such partition" followed by "Grub rescue"

Anonymous
2010-08-16T00:35:04+00:00

Original Title:grub rescue?

I deleted the Linux partition on my hard drive.  The windows partition is still there.  When I boot I get the following msg:

error: no such partition

grub rescue>

alright, so I install Windows 7 media and I boot,  I choose  "Repair your computer," and it searches for my windows installations and then there is Windows 7 highlighted to use recovery tools.

 I am presented with either "Next>" or "Load Drivers," and I choose "Next>" , and then I choose "Startup Repair"

After Startup Repair, it momentarily searches for the problem, and I get the msg "Startup Repair could not detect a problem."

I am forced to choose "Finish" and reboot but then I am back to step 1 and when I boot I get the same msg: "error: no such partition.  grub rescue>"

Going through the same process, Recovery Tool "System Restore" does appear to be a viable option.  It identifies a restore point, and I haven't tried it because I'll lose some data.

Is there some other way to fix this problem so windows will boot?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-17T20:20:11+00:00

Hi, I just wanted to add that I only did this:

I put in my windows 7 disk and used the command prompt there then used this (Thanks JW and bunch!)

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

Then I exited and restarted.  It then started windows normally.

One more thanks to JW for the steps, I was just wanting to add that I wound up not needing to do the extra steps here.  I had the same issue (where I had deleted Linux and grub still tries to come to up)

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-28T01:32:14+00:00

    You're welcome Tony

    J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-28T00:30:24+00:00

    Thanks! You da man!    -Jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-17T21:55:16+00:00

    Wow, J W Stuart, I am so happy that I landed upon this forum and your "Answer."  I want to thank you very much for your assistance to the original poster.  The steps you listed were easy to follow and they worked.  I had a dual-boot with Ubuntu and had lost my connection to Windows.  I am taking online courses at ITT Tech and just about everything is on this laptop.  I will be much more careful if I re-install Linux as a dual-boot, I think I know what I did that started the dead Windows link in Grub.

    Anyway, I digress,

    Thanks again J W Stuart !

    TS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more