Microphone volume too low

Anonymous
2010-01-27T00:46:44+00:00

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L500D, with Windows 7, and I'm having a problem with the microphone volume, in that recorded sound is barely audible.

I followed all the suggested steps on this forum topic: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/06582922-0014-4dac-9f74-b63f143fbb8e  ...but nothing fixed it.

It's a built-in microphone and the sound driver is Realtek.  I did a driver update check and it has the latest version.  I have all the microphone volume settings set to maximum, and have tried doing test recordings in both Skype and the Windows Sound Recorder.  They record, but it is extremely low volume, even when I lean closer to the mic and speak loudly.  Various Skype call recipients could barely hear me.  The only thing that records loudly is when I run a finger over the matte plastic of the monitor frame -- that records super loud for some reason.

I welcome any suggestions as soon as possible.  I need my microphone to get work done!

I hope the Microsoft people can remedy this situation as soon as possible, because it's crucial to fix!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-06T17:44:07+00:00

I had this problem for a few weeks, i recently read a forum post telling me to untick the :allow applications to take exclusive control of device:

Well, I found that setting and changed a couple of others, and I think it's fixed it

I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.

I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10db

I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.

I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-08T20:58:22+00:00

    IIIIIFIXIIIII   ahh, nice formatting microsoft, cant even get that right in 2013, thats a quadruple shame on you.   if you want the whole story its worth reading my last post post at the end of page 2, the long one. but the fix (yes there is a fix) is simply to connect the two mic jack inputs nearest the tip.   IIIII no xp - no upgrades - no mic boost - just connect the two dots ;) IIIII   (this has only been tested using creative soundblaster devices, but i assume it will work for the other brands who most likley use the same design standards, you will need to research to be sure).

    please report back with: your results, my name, and the page you found the fix on at this site (so people continue to find the fix) and please enjoy telling microsoft what you think of them and the microsoft certification's ;)  microsoft if you want to hire somebody capable to help design products or resolve issues like this and the latency problems found in vista-win7 (yes i know all about your usb stack issues and how you cannot recomend those operating systems for medical use) i'm unemployed but not willing to pay 7 grand for your qualification...but i am capable of reading, logical thinking, and i excel at design ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T00:32:33+00:00

    So the fix is to got back to XP?

    PS Soooooooo NICE of Microsoft to even tell us they are working on the issue! Oh wait......

    Oh and as was posted above.... TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED FIXES THEY DO NOT WORK SO DO NOT KEEP POSTING THE SAME "FIX"!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-04T02:01:28+00:00

    TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED FIXES THEY DO NOT WORK SO DO NOT KEEP POSTING THE SAME "FIX"!!!

    I'm having the same problem with my mic but nothing I do seems to fix it. 

    I thought it was the mic itself being faulty but after some searching online I have seen that a load more people are having the same issue even on new laptops. 

    I really hope a real fix comes along soon because this is really getting old now..  (-_-")

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-29T00:01:48+00:00

    Is Microsoft deaf?  This problem has been reported by thousands of people for several years.  They need a driver that actually boost mic signal.  There isn't even a boost option for external mics.

    Microsoft is a piece of - well, you know.  Saying it would violate Microsoft's code of conduct.  Oh, I wish they'd take their COC and shove it up their -- ops, there I go again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments