How to restore Windows 7 default fonts.

Anonymous
2009-12-19T19:53:22+00:00

Okay, I hit a button on a font installer and installed about 10000 fonts. How do I restore the default fonts that were originally on 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T17:41:58+00:00

Hi EssenceWebsiteDesign,

You can restore the default font and remove any changes that you've made to your display settings from Appearance and Personalization.

Here’s how:

1.    Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

2.    In the left pane, click Font settings.

3.    Click Restore default font settings.

Note

This also removes all manual changes that you've made to your display settings.

I've listed couple of links that could be of assistance to you.

Change your font settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-font-settings

To install or delete any particular font:

**Install or delete fontshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-delete-fonts**For answers to some common questions about fonts, check this link:

Fonts: frequently asked questionshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Fonts-frequently-asked-questions


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-04T23:13:37+00:00

    I agree with you about the general answers from MS.  Where is a download of all the default fonts?????

    Ah, where is the troubleshooting guide???

    Poor support. 

    This Font problem has been posted on 100's of sites, with 100's of suggestions.  Most of them are the same suggestions over

    and over and over and....

    Ric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-02T21:50:56+00:00

    On another question I found a link provided for removing all fonts except the preinstalled ones.

    Font Frenzy - Remove easily - Free  -  -  -  http://sdsoftware.org/default.asp?id=5936

    The link was posted as the helpful answer to: "recently i installed over 3,500 fonts and now i want to remove them and i don't know which of them are vista fonts and which are my own. can i download all vista supplied fonts? "

    Font Frenzy's Website says "Font Frenzy is compatible with Windows 7, but has not yet been fully tested. It is highly recommended to backup your system before use."

    Which is a given but I wanted to make sure I reiterated it for anyone doing this while under the influence of alcohol or prescription pain killers.

    Although if you want to manage fonts I'd recommend AMP Font Viewer after you restore your fonts & Uninstall Font Frenzy. AMP is a Maximum PC Recommended App . So you can link it through their site for security assurance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-20T22:37:19+00:00

    I found a solution, well for me. I made a restore point a few days ago just because I was bored.  I executed the restore and now everything is back to normal without any of my programs leaving. I'm happy now. I tried every step possible but this one and nothing work. I even tried downloading the font. I'm serious, nothing will work if you have Windows 7, best bet is to do a system restore granted you have a restore point. Remember always back up your system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-20T07:20:48+00:00

    My same issue..Wish I never downloaded those fonts. Facebook looks really bad and my website font looks bad...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments