How to restore Windows 7 default fonts.

Anonymous
2009-12-19T19:53:22+00:00

Okay, I hit a button on a font installer and installed about 10000 fonts. How do I restore the default fonts that were originally on 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T17:41:58+00:00

Hi EssenceWebsiteDesign,

You can restore the default font and remove any changes that you've made to your display settings from Appearance and Personalization.

Here’s how:

1.    Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

2.    In the left pane, click Font settings.

3.    Click Restore default font settings.

Note

This also removes all manual changes that you've made to your display settings.

I've listed couple of links that could be of assistance to you.

Change your font settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-font-settings

To install or delete any particular font:

**Install or delete fontshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-delete-fonts**For answers to some common questions about fonts, check this link:

Fonts: frequently asked questionshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Fonts-frequently-asked-questions


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-09T02:24:05+00:00

    I have a different problem. I was stupid enough to install more than 20'000 fonts at once. it's impossible for me to use text now in photoshop, and even Word has a hard time loading them. but that actually works after a while. But the big problem is, when i go to "fonts" (to delete all these unneeded fonts), he doesn't even show me the fonts anymore! it's as if there's too many for him to process. He loads for a while and then simply says "0 fonts", with a blank page. I'm in deep trouble here. PLEASE HELP!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-10T09:42:42+00:00

    I found another solution. Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007 installs the same font set as Windows 7 has. So, I installed the Viewer and the fonts are now back to normal.what

    what amazes me is the lack of good responses to any problems by the microsoft staff. I really hate it when I get a general answer to any questions I have regarding errors and such with the new OS. How hard can it be to provide a simple URL to either a place where the fonts can be downloaded or providing a step by step solution to how it can be done instead of a troublesgooting guide that is so vague it almost want to make me cry..

    Thanks Timofey71 for providing a real answer!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-09T07:50:25+00:00

    I think her question was rather how she would get back the fonts installed with Win 7 after she had deleted the 10000 fonts she installed herself, and not how she would adjust the font settings. I have the same problem myself, installed about 3000 fonts and it nearly killed my Photoshop CS2. I wouldn't have dreamed about fonts being a reason for software lag time and malfunction.

    So I'm asking myself, after I delete all the fonts from my system, where can I get back the original fonts that were installed with the win 7 OS? Is there any place where they can be downloaded? Right now I got about 96 of them that the OS wouldn't allow me to delete but for some reason all the websites now appear in Bold which is a bit annoying, so there must be a particular font I'm missing.

    I already did what You suggested above with restoring the font settings.

    Thanks :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-20T07:19:06+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. I downloaded a 10,000 fonts and it screwed up Photoshop CS4 load time when using the font control and windows mail never seemed to load fast enough. It was horrible so I deleted the fonts now everything is ____...Anyone find out how to really reset the fonts back to factory?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments