Windows wireless service is not running on this computer

Anonymous
2010-02-10T22:15:23+00:00

I have a Gateway laptop running 32-bit Vista SP2 I am unable to connect to any wireless networks. One day I had no problems and the next, I am unable to find any networks.  When I attempt to connect to a network I receive a message that Windows can't find any networks.  When the diagnose why link is clicked I get an error dialogue box that "Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer". When the Windows network diagnostics dialogue box appears I click on "Start Windows Wireless Service" and then am told that Windows cannot fix the problem and instructs me to contact my network admin or ISP.

I have tried several fixes from different forums and nothing has worked.  I've run virus scans that haven't detected anything.  Is there a fix for this issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-11T16:44:55+00:00

Hi,

  1. Did you check the status of wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig in services window?
  2. Do you've any security software installed on the computer?
  3. Did you make any changes on the computer recently?

Let's first try to start the wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig service manually. To do this, login to the computer as an administrator.

  1. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.
  2. Locate WLAN AutoConfig service, double click on it to open its properties window.
  3. Under General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start button.
  4. Click Apply and then ok.

Try to connect to the wireless connection and check the result.

If the service still fails to start, then run system file checker tool to scan the computer for corrupt system files and fix them automatically. To run sfc scan, try the steps mentioned in this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

For more information about the wireless settings, check this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878035.aspx

Let us know the result of the above troubleshooting steps, so that we can look into more details and assist you further.

Regards,

Syed V

Microsoft answers support engineer.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T00:27:42+00:00

    Thanks a lot. Running vista and had this problem, your solution worked great!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-08T06:48:49+00:00

    I got the same problem as antgaudi with error 1747 and managed to solve it like this:

    * Get a elevated command prompt (i.e., a command prompt running as administrator - you can find instructions on how to do this here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 )

    * Type netsh winsock reset* When that finishes, it'll say that you need to need to restart your computer.

    * Do that.

    * Success! (at least for me)


    Thank you so much this worked for me! 

    Had tried lots of other thigns with no luck.

    You are my hero!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-29T04:36:12+00:00

    So I found the same problem:

    And I immediately connected with an internet cable because my laptop is unable to connect with the wifi, and got your advices but this happened:

    I also tried the link you have provided, but it didn't seem to work out as well. :/

    I really want this to get fixed because I am a college student and I can't always stay at home to be able to get connected with the internet. Please help me!

    Netbook Acer Aspire One d255E

    Windows 7 32 bit

    If possible please email me ******@hotmail.com

    and my skype: xmsleenatorx

    Thank you so much in advance! I will love you forever, I promise!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-06T12:54:26+00:00

    Hey guys I'm having a problem setting up an Ad-Hoc network as it seems that microsoft has disabled that feature on windows 8. I already posted my question but I need to find a solution quickly. Can anybody help me with this??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments