windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created"

Anonymous
2009-10-29T00:57:14+00:00

I am trying to backup my PC to a USB external mass storage drive using Windows 7 backup feature.

I am getting the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

appreciate any help on this issue

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-13T17:59:08+00:00

I was able to get windows 7 backup to finally work by doing the following:

The error message which I was receiving after windows 7 backup failed was:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

My hard drive has a C and D partition. I am not sure if it was step 1, 2 or 3 below or a combination of all 3 steps that fixed my problem. I would start with step 1 then try to run backup. If that does not work procede to step 2 and try running backup again. If that still does not work go to step 3.  I excecuted all 3 steps prior to attemting my backup so I am not sure which one of the steps actually fixed the problem or if it was a combination of all 3 steps. All these steps together is now allowing me to backup via the windows 7 backup feature. Hopefully the solution will hold up long term.

Step 1:

I ran diskclean on the C and D drive partitions

Step 2:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight D drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Step 3:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight C drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-23T07:52:07+00:00

    I solved the very same problem by installing a partition manager (Easeus's Free one) and enlarging the standard 100 MB hidden boot partition to 300 MB (any value under 500 MB will do). That was accomplished by shrinking the C partition with 200 MB, moving it up over the unallocated space created on the right (in a linear representation of partitions starting with the hidden one to the left). Then the unalocated space "moved" to the left so I could expand the hidden boot partition.

    It appears that Shadow Copy cannot work properly if available space on any drive is less than 40%.


    Cosmin Tataru - http://windowsfaralimite.ro; http://reparcalculatoare.com

    How did you find the "standard 100 MB hidden boot partition"?

    EASEUS only shows me C: and nothing hidden!

    Can you give more detailed instructions, please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-19T20:34:05+00:00

    I solved the very same problem by installing a partition manager (Easeus's Free one) and enlarging the standard 100 MB hidden boot partition to 300 MB (any value under 500 MB will do). That was accomplished by shrinking the C partition with 200 MB, moving it up over the unallocated space created on the right (in a linear representation of partitions starting with the hidden one to the left). Then the unalocated space "moved" to the left so I could expand the hidden boot partition.

    It appears that Shadow Copy cannot work properly if available space on any drive is less than 40%.


    Cosmin Tataru - http://windowsfaralimite.ro; http://reparcalculatoare.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-07T13:13:45+00:00

    Resizing the hidden partition also worked for me.  I had been fighting a VSS error with Roxio's Retrospect Pro version 7.7 for months.  Roxio tech staff thought it may be due to other backup programs that may have somehow confused the VSS service (they pointed me to this post: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/34b62c1b-93e6-4848-a9a0-59e3f4019ebb)

    That was not the case, however.  It was simply that the hidden partition on the C: drive had insufficient space. Using Partition Wizard, I resized the hidden partition from 100 MB to 1 GB (yes, a little overkill).  Now no more VSS errors and open file backup works just fine (and so does Microsoft Backup which had never worked since upgrading to Win 7 64 bit).

    It is interesting to note that while the hidden partition had 70 MB free (prior to the resize), this was not sufficient for VSS.


    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-11T00:18:02+00:00

    My windows back up runs fine now, as I suspected it was related to running virgin media online VStuff back up with their free security package. All I did was run vstuff in compatability mode for windows xp sp3 instead of running it in windows 7 mode, and windows back up started running again, and subseqent scheduled backups.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments