windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created"

Anonymous
2009-10-29T00:57:14+00:00

I am trying to backup my PC to a USB external mass storage drive using Windows 7 backup feature.

I am getting the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

appreciate any help on this issue

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-13T17:59:08+00:00

I was able to get windows 7 backup to finally work by doing the following:

The error message which I was receiving after windows 7 backup failed was:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

My hard drive has a C and D partition. I am not sure if it was step 1, 2 or 3 below or a combination of all 3 steps that fixed my problem. I would start with step 1 then try to run backup. If that does not work procede to step 2 and try running backup again. If that still does not work go to step 3.  I excecuted all 3 steps prior to attemting my backup so I am not sure which one of the steps actually fixed the problem or if it was a combination of all 3 steps. All these steps together is now allowing me to backup via the windows 7 backup feature. Hopefully the solution will hold up long term.

Step 1:

I ran diskclean on the C and D drive partitions

Step 2:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight D drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Step 3:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight C drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-10T11:25:50+00:00

    Did not work for me... sorry

    I am trying to use 1.8 TB as the target for the back up... The drive came with a back up program.. that works I was trying to get the Windows crappola to work ...

    As usual.. some freakin hitch...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-20T15:13:43+00:00

    Hi everyone, 

    I encountered this error a couple of days ago on my new samsung  R580 notebook. I have read many of the posts, and I am not as advanced in computers as the majority here. I have tried some of the more basic recommendations but to no avail. However, I did notice that this error occurred after I installed Virgin media security and in particular Virgin's Vstuff online backup, these replaced my trial Mcaffee protection.

    I unistallad Vstuff and then found I had to set up the windows backup again, on doing so I encountered a new error code 0x80070002, The system cannot find the file specified. So I reinstalled Vstuff and got back the error code 0x81000019.

    So, in my humble opinion, I believe Virgin media's free Vstuff online backup has in some way corrupted windows 7 backup. It would be very interesting to find out how many others who are experiencing these error codes are indeed Virgin customers who have installed Vstuff ????

    I don't really know where to go from here, and would appreciate hearing people's thoughts to this theory. I have Samsung recovery solution 4 installed, but I am not sure if I should do a complete restore back to my "Initial status" as alhtough I've only had my notebook for a couple of months a lot of personal data, updates and programes have been added since. I am also unsure that If I did do this that any corrupted registry files would be restored to normal and the problem fixed ??  I did create a system repair disc soon after getting my notebook too.

    Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-01T17:29:43+00:00

    We have quite recently put our desktop in a RAID formation of 2 HD 500GB as system and 1HD as data HD of 1 TB, on top of that we  have several large external USB HD. When we tried to do a backup using w7 backup it resulted in the same errors described by the people who have replied on this question. Instead we used Nero Backitup and Acronis.

    Hopefully this will be resolved in the next SP1 of W7 ASAP, please...


    just a common usr (that's right).

    Well folks, we finally did it...

    We resized the Reserved Partion of 100Mb to 400Mb, and then let it startup again.

    Windows did sputter it little bit, but gave us 2 choices:

    a. repair the stuff or

    b. let it run normally

    so we did the last.

    after windows started up, we did a normal backup and folks it worked perfectly...

    PS it works also if you have a RAID system...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-19T14:02:34+00:00

    I had run the backup successfully with 2 disk drives (0 and 1, master and slave).  I then added 2 new drives at position 0 and 1 and moved the existing windows 7 drives to positions 2 and 3 (master and slave).  I installed Ubuntu 910 on disk 1 and Fedora 12 on disk 2.  I modified Ubuntu's boot manager (grub2) to enable selective booting to all 3 disks/OS's.

    After booting Windows 7 on disk 2 and starting backup it failed with the message of this thread:

    "A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019"

    I tried the "clean restore points"; no joy.

    For grins I shuffled the windows 7 disks back to positions 0 and 1 and left the linux disks powered down.  Backup now works like a champ.  Backup suggested I create a rescue disk.  I did this.  I shuffled the disks back to the multiboot manager and formatted the windows 7 disk using linux gparted.  I then shuffled the disks back to windows boot, powering down the linux disks, and ran the rescue CD.  Perfect rebuild.  It looks like I will need to do a bit of a 'disk dance' each time I feel the need to run windows 7 backup.

    About me:

    I run Suns' virtualbox on all three OS's and run a samll number of benchmarks on a Windows XP guest, looking for the best PPC crosscompiler performance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments