Left Pane Scroll Bug****
VOTE TO HAVE THIS BUG FIXED:
Tell MS you want it fixed by voting at the Microsoft Connect website:
**http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/621426/bug-when-expanding-folders-in-explorer-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7**
Watch the left pane scroll bug:
Video evidence of the left pane scroll bug using Windows Explorer in Windows 7
This shows one way to reproduce it, clicking the triangle to expand a folder you're currently viewing also reproduces it.
YOU CAN FIX THE BUG IN 10 MINUTES:
Left pane scroll bug (and other fixes):
Using Classic Shell To Restore Some Features To Windows Explorer
After installing the free Classic Shell you can customize Windows Explorer closer to how you want it, the quote below is just one way to do so. Click here to see some of the options you can
customize, and here is the FAQ page for Classic Shell.
A solution which did work for restoring some features.
- Install the free Classic Shell. This is very customizable, and works as a mod for Windows Explorer rather than a full blown replacement. You didn't need to install the Classic Start Menu
option, but you can if you want.
- Reboot the computer.
- Launch Windows Explorer (Start - Computer) and turn on "Always Show Menus" (Organize - Layout - check Menu Bar). This is just for configuration, you can turn it off again afterwards if you want.
- Right click on the menu bar and turn on the "Classic Explorer Bar". This adds a series of cut/copy/paste icons to Explorer. Crucially, it also adds the "Configuration" icon.
- Go into the configuration and from here you can tweak things to your heart's content. To kill the horrible Windows 7 folder-jumping, switch the "Navigation Pane Style" to Vista. You can even knock it back to XP mode if you want (this adds in the lines to
the folder tree and adds a classic "+" icon for expanding folders). The Windows Vista style folder view looks pretty much the same as the Windows 7 view, but gets rid of the horrible jumping.
- Tweak any other settings you want.
After this, you can turn the toolbar and menus back off in Explorer if you wish. Windows Explorer looks largely the same, but folders no longer jump around. Vote for Microsoft to fix this bug.
Now, if only MS could code properly so that we don't have to mess with third party apps to get Windows to actually work properly...
You can also let Microsoft know you want this bug fixed here:
http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195
Note: don't make the message too long, there is a size limit to your message even though the page doesn't tell you about it.
Unfortunately the Microsoft support response was as frustrating as the bug itself:
"Welcome to Microsoft Answers community Forum!
This behavior is by design and is working as intended."
Really?!!! Are you kidding me?
This "feature" irritates the heck out of me. I like Win7 overall but that was one of few issues I've noticed right from the start. This really needs to be fixed.
I have 2 more friends who decided to delve into the Windows 7 market this week. After one of them found out how miserable Windows 7 is to work with he returned his laptop. The other is still debating returning his as well.
I spotted this in the beta and reported it.
Add me to the list of exasperated explorer users.
I just don't get how a company like Microsoft, who surely must be able to afford the worlds best developers, can let such an obvious flaw slip through the net.
I have this scrolling problem too. This is one of the first thing I noticed after upgrading from Vista Home Premium. I use Windows Explorer a lot, a really lot. This does annoy me and I would really like a fix.
This is INDEED MOST FRUSTRATING! While working in Windows 7 explorer's navigator I've used language I've not used since getting out of the service in 1962!
I agree - add me to the list as well. File explorer in 7 sucks!!
Add me to the list of frustrated users... Explorer in W7 really, really, REALLY sucks.
Try this and then offer suggestion. Open Windows Explorer and open up enough drives and or directories to completely fill the nav pane. Now view a directory at the bottom of the list and make sure it has a sub-directory. Click the plus to view the
sub-directory and bam, the focus goes to the top of the nav pane when we clearly are working at the bottom of the list. This is very annoying.
Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers