No I didn't get lost. Been running a series of tests day after day and analysing the results. As it turn out there are several factors to your problem. The first one is that there is a theoretical limit for any user data files located in their document folder
or library. The value is approrimatly 162GB (Decimal), any file over this value by design can not be stored.
In addition I was never able to reach this theoretical limit due to at least one factor, mainly the size of the System,Reserved partition (normally 100MB in size). I increased the size of this hidden partition from the 100MB to 1GB and then to 1.5GB. It
would appear that increasing the partition to 1.0GB will give you at least a backup that can reach a single file size of about 155GB.
What you can try is zipping that 160GB file and see if the backup will complete. Meanwhile I'm still do some more testing and documentation.
JS
http://www.pagestart.com
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.