Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T17:22:43+00:00

    Hello,

    Please proceed with the following support steps....

    -Manually Create a Restore Point incase of a Failure....

    Go to this directory…

    C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Backup

    Please delete the files within this Directory (Windows Backup Monitor, Check Full, and Automatic Backup)

    Once these files have been deleted, now you would have to go to the registry and go to the following directory…

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Backup

    ***Please right click on “Task Cache” Key and export a copy to your desktop***

    Once that has been completed, delete the Windows Backup Key.

    Restart and Test and verify if Backup and Restore is functioning successfully.

    Thank you,


    Aaron

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T14:19:39+00:00

    I'll try duplicating the location of the file on my test PC and get back to you (will take a while as I'm in the final stages of repairing an old Windows XP PC, need to complete the driver installations and perform an Image Backup).

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T14:03:08+00:00

    So you created a folder in your library, that folder contains a link to the 160GB file which is physically located in a folder on your E: (partition or drive letter), yes/no ?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com

     


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    That's right, I think: my Videos library contains a folder which has a subfolder that contains the 160GB file, and it's on the E: partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-30T18:56:49+00:00

    So you created a folder in your library, that folder contains a link to the 160GB file which is physically located in a folder on your E: (partition or drive letter), yes/no ?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-11-27T20:50:39+00:00

    Tried some additional testing with that 175GB file, the error I get is still the same as before (0x80070008). The article has been posted to my web site and the next thing I plan to do is see if the technique in the article will fix the 0x80070008 error.

    Your partitions also have a small 100MB "System" partition followed by the C:\ 100GB (includes Windows installation) and E:\ 1.92TB (includes My Documents folder).

    I just noticed that you indicated that the "My Documents" folder is on the E: partition. Did you move it from the default C: partition to E: and if so how did you accomplish this. May have some bearing on the problem.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Hi JS,

    I should have been more specific. I still have my user folder on the C: drive, but I created Documents, Videos, and Music folders on the E: drive and set up Libraries to only include those folders and ignore those on the C: drive. Additionally, a couple of folders inside my C: user folder are actually just symbolic links to E: drive subfolders; however, I don't think they have any bearing on this since they do not contain the massive files the backup is choking on.

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments