Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-13T21:16:43+00:00

    Hi again,

    I've tried running with MSE disabled. Still no joy.

    I've also tried it with a different hard drive and a different SATA cable. Still no progress.

    Seems to suggest a software problem to me - are there any known things that cause Windows Backup to play up?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-12T17:04:25+00:00

    Have you resized any of the partitions you are backing up?

    What AV software are you using.

    Try running from Safe Mode.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    I can't remember if I ever resized any of the partitions - I don't think so, I think I set them correctly on the first installation of Windows.

    I'm using MSE for AV software.

    Safe Mode doesn't permit running Windows Backup.

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T16:54:55+00:00

    Have you resized any of the partitions you are backing up?

    What AV software are you using.

    Try running from Safe Mode.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T15:37:37+00:00

    OK, I noticed that serveral Image Backup software packages have problems when a computer is overclocked, usually lowering the CPU speed fixes the problem. This happens more often with internal hard drives as opposed to USB drives but both types can experience the problem depending on how far your have overclocked.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com 


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T14:35:07+00:00

    Home built or purchased PC from a store/online web site?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Home built.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments